Monday, September 26, 2011

Remains

They followed the stone wall past the remains of an orchard. The trees in their ordered rows gnarled and black and the fallen limbs thick on the ground. He stopped and looked across the fields. Wind in the east. The soft ash moving in the furrows. Stopping. Moving again. He'd seen it all before. Shapes of dried blood in the stubble grass and gray coils of viscera where the slain had been field-dressed and hauled away. The wall beyond held a frieze of human heads, all faced alike, dried and caved with their taut grins and shrunken eyes.

The Road, Cormac McCarthy


Photo (Fuji Instax) by Bean.

3 comments:

GoneferalinID said...

I loved that book and movie.

Marrow said...

Beautiful scarecrow.
Amazing movie.
Never read the book.

My sister once tried to watch 'The Road' with me. She wanted a relaxing break from exam studies, to settle down and watch a movie. She left half-way through because it was "so depressing it's irritating!"

I don't blame her.

NoahFentz said...

Everytime that movie is on and I'm flipping thru channels I'm compelled to watch it.