Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Force Awakens

“They wanted to do a retro movie. I don’t like that. I like — every movie, I worked very hard to make them completely different, with different planets, with different spaceships — you know, to make it new.

I love [the movies], I created them, I’m very intimately involved in them, and I sold them to the white slavers that take these things and …”

George Lucas

We finally watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  I think I held off for so long out of fear that Star Wars should just be left alone, especially after what Lucas did with the prequels.

Thankfully, this new film was packed with everything I dug about the original films.  Sure it was a soft reboot, and I heard reviewers making similar statements, and I think I was really bothered by that notion (part of the reason I waited).  I figured if a person couldn't come up with an original Star Wars tale, and could just rehash the same old story of the Rebellion and an Empire and droids and X-wings and a giant weapon...then I simply couldn't be bothered.  At work when people seemed surprised I didn't see the film in the theaters, I would say "I already saw Star Wars....in 1977."  I think I'm a jerk.

Anyways, we loved it.  We laughed.  We loved the characters, loved the nostalgia.  Loved hating the new "Empire," which made stormtroopers truly scary and hateable.  Sure Abrams was pressing our buttons, but I think he was doing something else.  Helping us purge the Lucas Betrayal.  Getting Star Wars back to where it should be.  Back to where I needed it to be.  Viewing this film was shockingly therapeutic and cathartic.

Thanks, George, for making the prequels different - with different planets and different spaceships, and for making it new.


11 comments:

Jay's Shadow said...

I'm afraid to see it also. Afraid it will be just plain........boring.

Steve Ring said...

Good to hear.

Damian Michael AKA HalloweeNut said...

Saw this in the theater on Christmas Eve; and it was some of the most fun I've had in a theater in ages. This truly is the Star Wars sequel we deserved.

K.O. said...

Well said, Rot!! =] Couldn't agree more.

The Creeping Cruds said...

Good to hear..
I lost my affection for Star Wars a long time ago and the latter Lucas prequels turned that into pure loathe.
I am glad to hear that there is an element of nostalgia in TFA.. Will see it when it comes to PPV etc.

Sara said...

I like how you articulated your fear of the new. I'm watching it Tuesday and I'm looking forward to it.

Jeanne Wright said...

We saw it at the theater and LOVED it.

girl6 said...

we caught it at the theatre back in january or february & really really liked it a lot. it had sucha nice warm & sunny feel to it. sorta, like visiting with an old friend that you grew up with. like coming in from the cold..sooooo warm..sigh

Finn!!!!!...<333 that kid.<3
remember him from "attack of the block"..?
he's mos def got that little denzel w. thing goin on too!!

dear JJ...
please be careful of the dark side...beware of the most evil 2 sith evvver. (lucas & spielberg) they will both try to drain your life force.

Sara said...

Finally saw it. Loved it.

Rot said...

coolio.

Rot said...

girl6, we loved attack of the block...didn't realize that was the kid!