Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Carnivale

"Fortunato!"

No answer still. I thrust a torch through the remaining aperture and let it fall within. There came forth in return only a jingling of the bells. My heart grew sick -- on account of the dampness of the catacombs. I hastened to make an end of my labour. I forced the last stone into its position; I plastered it up. Against the new masonry I reerected the old rampart of bones. For the half of a century no mortal has disturbed them.

The Cask of Amontillado



Art by Arnaud de Vallois.


Text source.
I had an English teacher in high school who read this story to us from memory. Funny how those things stay with you forever.


6 comments:

bean said...

One day in 8th grade, we came back from recess to a darkened classroom. The teacher told us to sit and get comfortable; and instead of Math class, she read "The Tell-Tale Heart" to us. I was so enthralled I could barely breath.

She gave me the book afterwards. :)

Rot said...

You're the coolest.

chairriots said...

The Alan Parson's Project album,"Tales of Mystery and Imagination" which is a collection of songs based on Edgar Allen Poe stories is a good listen

A Spooky Soiree said...

thanks for finding & posting this image -so awesome and such an inspiration for me!

Arnaud de Vallois said...

thanks for plugging, cheers!

Also, I picked up two of your lovely pumpkins (Lighted Sinister Pumpkin Head, and a Witchy Pumpkin Head) and have to say they are just AWESOME.

I bought them from The Warm Hearth in Julian, CA. They've got a great little Halloween display and your stuff just rocks it. I should find the photos I snapped and post them.

Rot said...

Cool! Thanks for that!
We really appreciate it : )

Would love to see a photo.
It's so cool thinking of those pumpkins in shops.