Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Scarecrow That Wasn't

Back when I was working with director Karl Mueller to build the scarecrows of Mr. Jones, he talked about found-objects being incorporated into some of the designs.  Like the Jones guy builds his totems with stuff he finds along the road, dumped in the woods, or thrown out in the trash.  The request came in to build one with a doll's head.

As a guy who doesn't really do that sort of thing, I came up with the below design, and off it went to California for the shoot.  I dug the concept and love how it came out, but was very relieved in NY watching the premiere when it never showed up in the movie.  Only after rewatching the film on dvd did I notice that her dress and head were removed and she became the scarecrow that Penny and Scott knock over during their first encounter with Mr. Jones.

I felt really bad when I bought the doll off of ebay and the kind lady selling her wrote me the nicest note "I just know she's going to be so happy in her new home!"  Awful.

I'm a [doll] child murderer.























I'd like to leave this on someone's property and just drive away.

11 comments:

Gourdin Fester said...

Holy Lord- are you kidding me?!?! So crazy!!! What a gem- a complete jewel! Thank you for sharing this with us Rot!'

Anonymous said...

Ha!

I was going to say I didn't think I saw that one in the movie.

You must now register in the state of Pennsylvania as a "Doll Predator"., and you must stay at least 500 yards from any toy store. :)

Rot said...

Thanks, steve.
i've been meaning to post this.

haha, jay

Gatekeeper said...

So much for sleeping tonight. LOL

girl6 said...

That's awesome dude!!!.. : )
& Honestly, THAT'S what dolls were made for...110%...Yep.

Ragged Grin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Willow Cove said...

Just awesome!
I've got my eye on one of my kids old teddy bear that the dogs have since slobbered up as their chew toy.

Damian Michael AKA HalloweeNut said...

Oh crap, that's terrifying.

Ryan said...

I fantasize about leaving scarecrows, mostly pumpkin headed scarecrows, on people's yards with nothing else all the time. No note, no indication where it came from, just the scarecrow, somewhere in the yard, facing the front door. Or even doing it all over the town. In random places. Fields, parking lots, store fronts, edge of wooded areas. I want to do this very much.

Ragged Grin said...

Something very creepy about dolls...
Glad to see you take the plunge.
Very cool.

Countess VonRauber (Heidi) said...

That thing is awesome and beyond creepy. LOL about the poor eBay seller... if she only knew ;)