Monday, July 29, 2024

Memories Of Halloweens Past

The next entry for this fun blog series comes from Raven176.  It's a rare and unique paper decoration of Frankenstein's monster.  "Probably the best dollar my parents ever spent," he shared.  "Fifty plus years now.  Surprised beyond belief that he survived three kids and two dogs.  It's not Halloween without the big guy."




I love this submission, as paper decorations were the thing back when I was growing up.  You'd see something like this or a Dracula or that wonderful Beistle skeleton hanging on a front door as you walked to school in those final weeks of October.  

I did some searching, and it seems this particular decoration was something you could order along with Boney the Skeleton.  They would come with glow-in-the-dark stickers that could be placed over the eyes.  As a kid, that would have been pure magic having something like that hanging on the back of my bedroom door.





Thanks for sharing, Raven176!


For anyone interested in submitting, you can email me at pumpkinrot @ gmail . com (remove the spaces, of course!)

9 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

These kinds of memories are something that I hope I'll never forget. Halloween has always been my favorite time of year. Yeah, it means going back to school when you were a kid, but just the thought that any of what we can imagine it to be could actually be real was something I looked forward to. I still do.

I have so many memories of Halloween from when I was a kid, to when as a teenager I had to take my 2 younger sisters trick or treating, to now as an adult with a wife, 2 kids, and 4 grandkids.
I'll be submitting more things to this subject in the future, but I look forward to seeing what other disciples of October 31st have to share.

Raven176 said...

Thanks, Rot. The back of the comics is exactly where it was ordered from. They never thought it would actually arrive. I hope this memories thing becomes a tradition around here.

Lady M said...

I loved that ad - my sister and I named them Frankie and Skellie. We used to dream of getting them one day.

A.Leonard said...

I remember that nostalgic ad. That one was probably in between the X-Ray Specs and Sea Monkeys ad’s.

Fraidy said...

Wow! I wish I'd known you could send off for something that incredible! A Frankenstein would've been a thousand times better than those darn sea monkeys!

Revenant Manor said...

In all of the years seeing some version of those ads, I do believe that this is the first time I've ever seen what the actual product looked like.

It's absolutely incredible that it is still hanging around and acting as a harbinger of the season after all of this time...

Jenna said...

Same, RM! Really neat to see what those ads actually delivered. Thanks for sharing, Raven!

jwshoup said...

Yes! I had this hanging in my room when I was 7 or 8 years old (I'm now 57). I loved that poster...not sure what ever became of it, but it made an impression on me at that time and contributed to my Halloween love.

Jerem Morrow said...

Always wanted one. One year, I printed one out, in pieces, on standard printer paper.