Thursday, April 30, 2009

Haunt Theory: Details

The Devil really IS in the details. Tiny things like leaves in the witch's hair (from the previous post) really transform that prop into something living. I love when I get my props out of the attic each year and they have tiny cobwebs or leaves from the prior year still clinging to them.

My witches' cloaks are filthy and earthy and smell of attic and dust. The wrinkled blotchy appearance of their clothing gives a lot of believability to them - they've been up to no good. For my scarecrows, I'll wrap rough twine around their limbs for added detail, or rip pieces of cheesecloth, dip them into glue, and slap them on and paint over them when they're dry. Maybe it's ancient clothing, or dried skin, or webs. I think clothing can make or break a prop, and dipping a new shirt into a mixture of glue, water, and paint before applying it to your zombie can make all the difference in the world.

Going to try to focus on the details this year, more so than usual. I want the display to feel real. The Corn Witches are mean. Brutal. And I want the Haunt to feel that way. I want it to be terrifying. And somewhat repulsive even.

Goosebumps just talking about it. : )

11 comments:

JHMDF said...

terrifying...repulsive....terrifying...repulsive....terrifying...repulsive...terrifying...repulsive

Anonymous said...

when are you going to start writing the "HAUNT THEORY" book?
i love hearing these these. now i will go to work tonight and think about this. i will have to start printing these out

Rot said...

I've been giving that a lot of thought lately. : )

The Captain said...

It's funny that Jay said that, because I was going to ask if you are planning to collect all of your theories in a book? I agree totally about details. Last year I made Voodoo glyphs on the driveway, put photos in mason jars, made a little Voodoo altar with a real dead lizard for a sacrifice. I use my wifes hair out of her brush from zombie hair. I obsess about knuckles and fingers on my figures.

Rot said...

I think it's a neat idea. And to finally put some how-to's together for my props.

The Captain said...

I'd buy a copy

NoahFentz said...

Details. You hit it dead on. I spend so much time on details and majority people who come thru my haunt are either walking fast or covering their eyes. I tell them take their time and explore. I even added more amber light to expose more detail.

A How to would be amazing. This blog has answered many questions but a step by step guide would help. Who knows? With this information we probably will see a bunch of little Pumpkinrot groundbreakers crawling around the haunt world. Imagine...

Sam Kadi said...

That would be really cool, I would buy it. It would be nice to get behind the scenes pictures, maybe a tutorial or two and of course your haunt theory essays. I know there are alot of people on the forums that would be very interested in a book.

The question for you though is do you want to pull back the curtains and let us know more about the wizard or do you keep the mystery? Thats something to ponder. How much skin do you want to show?

Sam K
aka Grimmleefeindish

Sam Kadi said...

Captain,
Did you do the face in the jar? I printed out the picture last year but I couldnt find a cool enough jar to put mine in. Im going to make one for my neighbor that also does a BIG halloween haunt. Of course almost all of mine is made stuff and his is all bought stuff. His looks like a halloween yard sale. He even has an Alien, its really random. Its still cool, just not my style. I really want to make something that looks real (to a degree) and has atmosphere rather than having every prop made from Spirit in my front yard.

The devil is in the details!

The Captain said...

Sam,
No, I had a Voodoo coffin/Altar and sitting on top of it was a little mason jar w/ a candle and a picture of my wifes face in it. Kind of like she was who we were trying to raise from the grave. Just little details to give the scene more flavor.

Jon Glassett said...

This post was well-timed. I was starting to feel bummed out about Halloween this year, having not started any props at all yet and really having no idea what to do. I was considering not making anything but music. Now I'm inspired again.

Write that book, man. Seriously.