Monday, April 8, 2024

Glencairn Museum

Growing up in PA, we heard a lot of spooky stories regarding the Pitcairn family... my sister's friends would sometimes mention the Pitcairn [haunted] mansion.  They spoke of deformed descendants still living there.  They mentioned the horridly abstract notion of inbreeding to a small child (me).  

Turns out this terrifying fictional place I built up in my head as a kid has always been a beautiful sprawling estate which houses an amazing cathedral, a museum, and a mansion.  No ghosts nor deformations were spotted.  It was a wonderful tour and a great way to spend a windy Saturday afternoon. 

Glencairn is a castle-like mansion in Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, that was home to the Pitcairn family for more than 40 years. Now the Glencairn Museum, it contains a collection of about 8,000 artworks, mostly religious in nature, from cultures such as ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, the Roman Empire and medieval Europe, as well as Islamic, Asian, and Native American works.  The nine-story, granite-and-ruddy-colored-stone mansion features more than 90 rooms on 10 floors.










4 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

DAMN, if you had told me those photos were from somewhere in the UK or Europe, I would have believed it. I never thought a place like this is anywhere here in the US, it looks hundreds of years old. Beautiful.

Rot said...

It was amazing. Had the same thoughts

Lady M said...

I can see how the rumors got started.

Revenant Manor said...

Good grief...how could that place NOT have an entire array of spooks and specters roaming the halls and grounds?

I'd give a lot to have a shot at haunting up a place like for Halloween night; the possibilities are essentially endless.