Then a good friend of mine asked me if I wanted to do a Summerween cookout. My first instinct was that she was putting me on. She informed me of the origins of the odd informal cultural holiday. Back in 2012, an animated series called Gravity Falls once had an episode that dealt with a town that loved Halloween so much it celebrated it twice a year. The summer varietal of the holiday took place on June 22, and it was celebrated with jack-o'-melons, costumes, trick or treating, and loads of candy.
I agreed to a low-key version (no carved watermelons), but plenty of cocktails, mummy hotdogs, Halloween tunes, and a visit from a Witch. As the haze from the Canadian forest fires began to clear in this region, we (uncomfortably) added our own smokey fog with a fire pit and way too many smoke bombs. We were a month late, but it was a nice little party and a cool reminder that the real Halloween is getting ridiculously close.
Here are some of our pics...




.jpg)




























4 comments:
Very cool.
Was fun!
It definitely looks like a good time, and while I would certainly consider myself a traditionalist, I can also get behind something that seems like it’s essentially celebrating Halloween’s approach.
So, not so much a Halloween 2.0, but maybe more of a tailgating session.
Pre-gaming, as it were.
After all, the 100 day mark is this week…
Totally more like pregaming… that’s perfect
Post a Comment