Monday, May 17, 2010

Memory Men

Memory vessels were made by placing small everyday objects such as keys, screws and nails, glass vials, shells, nuts, and jewelry on the surface of bottles or ceramic jugs using putty, cement, or other adhesive material. Many of these folk art pieces were coated with gold or silver paint, and thus require especially close inspection to discern details; others were left plain so that each applied object was easily recognized.

i
A few years ago, I was kicking around a Halloween theme of something we called Wood Demons. Imagine the Bog Man but made entirely of wood and twisty things and mushrooms and fungus and dead bugs. Saw these memory vessels and thought of the idea again. Memory Men. Forest things. Rotten wood and all the soft detritus from a forest floor.

6 comments:

NoahFentz said...

Weird. I always wanted to do a swamp witch like that after seeing the 2nd Pirates of the Carribean. A witch carved out of wood with mushrooms and swampy items. Her hands like branches. Her robe would have many many keys pinned to it.

Love the idea!!

Rot said...

Do it!
You could totally pull it off.

Brother Bill said...

For some reason, those artifacts really creep me out!

Marrow said...

ACK! I know this is a really old post, but I was scrolling through your posts labelled memories and found this. Anyway, your whole wood demons thing, well, that was my plan for my haunt this year. Damn. I hope you don't mind if I still use it, I swear I hadn't read this till just now. I hate it when that happens. Sorry! http://marrowhouse.blogspot.com/2010/12/from-beneath-gnarled-roots.html

Rot said...

Do it, man.

: )

Marrow said...

Thank you so much! It's gonna be mean...