Friday, July 9, 2010

Music Of Horror

Due to that Splat Pack trailer, I've been thinking about the last few years of horror and I keep coming back to the music. Back in the 80s when I was experiencing those horror classics for the first time, the music was just as horrifying as the movies. We don't really have that now. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Amityville Horror, The Exorcist - they all had music which was just as powerful as any of their images. For the life of me I couldn't tell you what the SAW theme is. Or the main motif in Scream or Boogeyman.

I had a friend in grade school who would always hum the creepy little kids part in The Amityville Horror score. I have a hard time picturing a kid doing that these days.

Here's to the music.

Click below:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the music scores should start using children's voices more often....that always worked for me.

Like in Nightmare on Elm Street, the children chanting "One Two Freddie's coming for you.....love that.

Kristen J Thomas said...

hands down, i still find the score to Carepenter's HALLOWEEN one of the most chilling...sets a mood in an instant.

great post.