Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Long Pigs

Prior to 1931, New York Times reporter William Buehler Seabrook, allegedly in the interests of research, obtained from a hospital intern at the Sorbonne a chunk of human meat from the body of a healthy human killed by accident, and cooked and ate it. He reported that, "It was like good, fully developed veal, not young, but not yet beef. It was very definitely like that, and it was not like any other meat I had ever tasted. It was so nearly like good, fully developed veal that I think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal. It was mild, good meat with no other sharply defined or highly characteristic taste such as for instance, goat, high game, and pork have. The steak was slightly tougher than prime veal, a little stringy, but not too tough or stringy to be agreeably edible. The roast, from which I cut and ate a central slice, was tender, and in color, texture, smell as well as taste, strengthened my certainty that of all the meats we habitually know, veal is the one meat to which this meat is accurately comparable."


More information.

3 comments:

Pam Morris said...

ok, I'm not sure I can see this movie...after watching the trailer and reading the little "tastes like veal" article, I am desperately seeking a trash can...

Sara said...

well heck, I'll say it: that's effing disgusting,lol.

Hopsy the beer drinking clown said...

Well, at least he didn't say "tastes like chicken".