Friday, September 23, 2022

The Wrenfield



Wanted to feature a drink invented by loyal blog reader (and exceptional Haunter) Revenant Manor.  During the aforementioned visit from Wren, we were anxious to make this namesake spirit.  Happy to report it's quite phenomenal.  And also happy to report that I found not just any blood orange, but a Dracula blood orange (Oh, Wholefoods, I both love and hate you).

Revenant Manor left the recipe below in a blog comment on an earlier post.  This man has a gift for booze reviews and for making really tasty cocktails.

He wrote:

The following is a take on the old-fashioned that will surely inspire the purists to break out their torches and pitchforks, or if they are on the other side of the grass, spin in their graves. (I am OK with this)

Ingredients:

-2 ounces Graverobber Unholy Rye Whiskey
-2 or 3 dashes black walnut bitters
-¼ ounce Not-So-Simple™ syrup (**see below)
-1 blood orange wedge (plus, additional for garnish, if desired)
-1 Luxardo cherry (plus, additional for garnish, if desired)
-Truly Massive Ice Ball

Concoct the drink (and enrage The Traditionalists):

-Add Not-So-Simple™ and black walnut bitters to a rocks glass
-Rim glass with blood orange wedge, then add blood orange wedge and Luxardo cherry
-Muddle into a bloody pulpy mess (pause to admire this crime scene and aroma)
-Add Truly Massive Ice Ball
-Pour Graverobber Unholy Rye over ice, and stir gently (preferably with a skull-head cocktail skewer to truly enhance the flavor)

** Garnish with additional orange peel and / or Luxardo cherry (also preferably with a skull-head cocktail skewer to make it look totally metal)

Not-So Simple Syrup™:

-1 cup sugar
-1 cup water
-2 whole cloves
-1 star anise
-1 strip blood orange peel (and / or zest of same)
You know the drill; combine, boil, etc...after all, it's just simple syrup with extra goodies ;)

We used regular Rye Whiskey, and not the grave varietal.
Jack O damage may or may not be related to the cocktails.

8 comments:

Revenant Manor said...

So, pumpkin shopping (and evidently carving), Halloween movie watching, and seasonal cocktails...that is all fantastic!

I surely hope that the drink held up even without the maple undertones, and that braving the trip to Whole Foods was worth it. (I think I'll find out for myself tonight; I just happen to have a brand new bottle of Bulleit Rye in the barmoire)

And, speaking of the cocktail, and that Dracula blood orange, I want to share a tiny Easter egg that was embedded in the naming consideration:

In the novel Dracula, the poor insect consuming lunatic was more fully addressed than in most films.

In Dr. Seward's journal, the patient is known as R.M. Renfield. ;)

Rot said...

That is really awesome! Haha. Love it.
The cocktail was premium, and I made one for my brother on Thursday and he loved it as well.

Wren said...

A great way to kick off the season, and the perfect cocktail for the occasion! It’s my new go to drink now : )

Wren said...

And I definitely appreciate all the thought that went in to the name!

Revenant Manor said...

That's all so good to hear!

I'm legitimately tickled that the impulsive reaction to just buy some distilled grave juice with maple flavorings turned out to have some positive outcomes...and I'm SUPER pumped that folks ended up with some seasonal good times being had over whiskey cocktails!

I mean, given the whiskey's origins, one could certainly see how it could have gone a-rye....err, I mean awry. ;)

Tjalgahorn said...

I'm going to add making this syrup to my "Hurricane Prep" checklist. If I have to endure this storm, I may as well be drunk.

Rot said...

Good luck! Hurricane season is the pits. : /

Mike C(JASONV123) said...

Looks tasty!