Sunday, June 18, 2023

Nigel Kneale And Halloween III

As a huge fan of Halloween III: Season of the Witch, I've long heard the tales of the original screen writer's contempt for the project after writing a few drafts.  The film's director Tommy Lee Wallace takes credit for the final version, but it's long been suggested that the version we know (and love) is very similar to Nigel Kneale's original script.


According to the article at the link below, the Kneale draft was significantly different.  I sometimes (more than I'd like to admit) find myself pondering the original version, wondering if things would have been better and more mysterious.  I'm now extremely grateful to discover that the Wallace version is, in my opinion, superior.  Superior in a bunch of ways.

Click below to see what I mean.




5 comments:

girl6 said...

& When III was originally released, the plan was to produce a series of HALLOWEEN films with a different villain portrayed in each one, but the Michael Myers purists (hahaha yeah sure they are) hated the film SO much (because Michael wasn't it) & threw major hissy fits. Hence no more films with that formula in mind were made. Oddly enough, a lot of these complainers are the same ones who LOVE HALLOWEEN III now. So strange. i am super curious as to what other villains we would have met over the years!

Rot said...

I’ve often wondered the same thing.

girl6 said...

They make me so mad Rot!!! i will find them. All of them.

Rot said...

Haha

MR. Macabre said...

I remember seeing this in the theater and walking out shaking my head. The premise was promising, but there were so many holes in the story that it came off as kind of dumb to put it nicely.
The ending, plus the theft of one of the standing stones from Stonehenge was ridiculous.