Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Exhumed

Exhuming a body depends on the local permit process and cemetery fees. The fee to open and close the grave is normally $1,000 each. The excavation typically requires manual labor and machinery. This may add costs. If necessary, you must dispose of the old casket and purchase a new one for transportation. Transferring the remains requires the services of a funeral director, which costs about $1,000 sometimes more, based on hourly rates.

Permits are also required to exhume a body and fees vary based on location. The final cost being the re-burial of the body. At the new resting place the loved ones will have to either transport the headstone or purchase a new one which can add up quite a bit for the total cost. Together, these costs tend to range between $5,000 and $15,000.





6 comments:

Rot said...

Probably easier/cheaper to just move the headstones and leave the bodies.

MR. Macabre said...

The funeral industry is nothing but an extortion racket that feeds on peoples emotions. That's why I've got my spot in the local cemetery reserved, as well as having already built my own casket.

Revenant Manor said...

Sounds like my mostly-idle-but-fully-paid-for team of shovel and wheelbarrow have a golden opportunity to undercut the market.


Rot said...

haha I'd be interested.

Rot said...

Mr. Macabre, I love that you have your own casket standing by.

MR. Macabre said...

It was a cool project, I figured the dimensions and the materials needed well before I started building it. It's 6' by 2 1/2' square, and all 6 sides are 1 1/2" thick hardwood plywood. Everything is glued and screwed together, and it's painted black with orange details.

I found a 6 foot strap hinge for the lid, which was perfect, and I put 6 hardware cabinet handles on it because it weighs a ton. I "signed" and dated it on the inside of the lid. I built it during the summer of 2018. I was allowed to initially store it in the crawlspace under our daughter and son-in-law's home until they sold that house and moved in 2021. Now it's in a storage space with most of my Halloween stuff.