Thursday, September 21, 2023

Now Playing: Monster Rap

Back in the late 80s or early 90s, my brother and I were driving around on Halloween afternoon.  This was back when we decorated at our parents' house, and I can't recall why we were driving around with only a few hours left before sunset.  I get nervous just thinking about that risky trip (maybe we needed a bag of ice for the fog chiller?).  I can recall that it was an overcast day.  Very gray, and very chilly.


So there we were, driving around listening to the radio, and a local station was playing a ton of Halloween-centric songs (which I feel was a rare occurrence on Halloween for the local stations).  In-between most of the songs there would be audio clips from horror films and sound effects (an even rarer occurrence).  I recall one clip being Gene Wilder from Young Frankenstein.  It was the scene where he pronounces his name as Fronkensteen.  The song that came up next was something I had never heard.  It was by Bobby "Boris" Pickett, and it WASN'T his famous Monster Mash.  It was his not-so-well-known and totally obscure Monster Rap, a sequel of sorts to the Mash classic.  

Here's to that afternoon.  Driving around excited that another Haunt was happening.  Maybe the year of the Giant Spider descending on unsuspecting trick-or-treaters?  Or maybe the year a kid yelled horrible insults at me in my Michael Myers costume?  Dunno.  I just know that this fun memory is in there.  Like it happened yesterday.

Click below for a listen to Monster Rap.  






6 comments:

Fraidy said...

Hahaha! That song is infectious. And, now---for the forseeable future---anyone within earshot will likely be "treated" to a live, impromptu rendition of,
"Shock the body, shock the body, body
Shock the body, shock the body, body
Shock! (RRRRRR!)"

Rot said...

Haha my plan is working!

K.O. said...

Oh man, once I reached the "shock the body" line, I was FLOODED with memories. I swear I recall hearing this on the radio back in the day! But I definitely haven't heard it again in all the years since then, until this moment. Wow. I might need to add this to my 2023 Halloween mix.

Rot said...

This is truly a guilty pleasure of mine.

Justin D said...

Oh wow, I kinda thought I was the only one. I too remember hearing this on the radio and even back in the 80's it was pretty cringey. Although, where i lived it seemed to get a LOT of airtime. Still, to this day I will catch myself mumbling parts of it, especially around this time of year. "Rap, Bap, another zap!"

Rot said...

We need to bring it back