Friday, August 20, 2010

Spiderfest 2010

This weekend I'll start on my spiders for the Davis Graveyard Spiderfest event.
Going to make two.

Image source.


Looking forward to it. Haven't built a spider since back in the late 80s. And that was the huge one. I remember building that lady with my brother. We used flour and water and newspaper strips. We saved up paper towel rolls for months. But we only taped the joints, so the cardboard tubes were exposed to the moisture of the mache. What an oversight. We went into the garage to check on our giant spider and her legs were flopped to the ground like giant noodles. After that, I think we had strings supporting the legs from the ceiling and fifty sticks holding the legs in place until they dried.

Spiderfest blog.

davisgraveyard.com

4 comments:

Mr. Chicken said...

I'm very anxious to see where you take this

By the way, your old giant spider looks waay better than my old giant spider did :)

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Ah, thanks. But two? Really one will do...one is plenty. Actually one is MORE than enough :D

Thanks so much for supporting my insanity. You are the best.

Cheers!

theodore said...

i can't wait to see howthis one will turn out! Usually big faake spider are dumb and cheap looking, but i know this will be awesome. I'm EXTREMELY arachnophoic, but i have a fascination of spiders too. Looking forward to it rot!

Anonymous said...

Wish I had the talent to make a spider to send.....oh well, maybe I'll just send some real ones. :)