Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Appointment

A sixteen year old boy worked on his grandfather’s horse farm. One morning he drove the pickup truck into town on an errand. While he was walking along the main street, he saw Death. Death beckoned to him.

The boy drove back to the farm as fast as he could and told his grandfather what happened. “Give me the truck,” he begged. “I’ll go to the city. He’ll never find me there.”

His grandfather gave him the truck, and the boy sped away. After he left, his grandfather went into town looking for Death. When he found him, he asked, “Why did you frighten my grandson that way? He is only sixteen. He is too young to die."

“I am sorry about that,” said Death. “I did not mean to beckon to him. But I was surprised to see him here. You see, I have an appointment with him this afternoon – in the city.”

From the Scary Stories Treasury.


Image by Thomas Claveirole.

3 comments:

ShellHawk said...

Proof that death is everywhere.

At least I can put my taxes on extension! ;o)

JD said...

That story never gets old :D

K.O. said...

Hey--that's my subway stop!
(JK. But it looks very very similar. Regardless, I hope I never see that guy lurking down there.)