Friday, August 17, 2012

Chimneys And Charlatans

Here's a weird non-Halloween topic I've wanted to share for a while, but just didn't know how to weave it into a blog post. So I'm displaying a photo from last year's mantel to make a connection and force the issue: How to fix a leaking chimney.



In my time on this earth, I've lived in two homes with fireplaces - both of them leaked when it rained. Now when I say it leaked, I mean that we had to put containers in to catch the drips of dark brown liquid which was streaming down the inside of the chimney. And empty them at least once every time it rained heavily. And before you ask - yep, we had a chimney cover.

So the first time this happened, I foolishly called a local chimney company and listened to their professional advice that my entire chimney needed to be repointed...$7,000 estimate. Being untrusting of most specialized professions, I researched online to find an alternative. I almost gave up when I stumbled upon someone praising a product called Chimney Saver. I figured $200 was better than $7,000 and ordered it. I sprayed it on the chimney with a pump sprayer from Home Depot and waited for it to rain.

After one spray, the leaking stopped. Completely.
When we moved in here, same problem. Same instant cure.

So I'm passing on a product recommendation...
Because a leaking fireplace just might ruin your Halloween.
Well, I guess a heavy rain would ruin Halloween, but you know what I mean.

Click Here if you collect brown hickory-smoked rain water from your chimney.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you, and now for more than just Halloween bliss.

I moved in April into a house with a chimney.

Rot said...

I should be the spokesman for this company...my slogan: "It worked so well, I thought it was paranormal."

GhostTown said...

Thank the Great Pumpkin my chimney does not leak, but if it did, I would be all over this stuff.

Love a wood burning fireplace though. If it did leak, it would still be worth it.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any problems,yet. But when I do, I will sure to give this a try.

And I will say "Pumpkinrot sent me!"

Then they will probably say "who??"