Thursday, August 22, 2013

Booze Update

We bought a bunch of seasonal beers/ciders, as well as the Samuel Adams Harvest Collection.
Loved the Sam Harvest Pumpkin.  Wasn't over-the-top with the sweet, and I'm not sure I would have guessed it was "Pumpkin" at all.  But it was really nice, and it would have gone well with food.

Tried Ichabod Pumpkin Ale (purchased due to the name and label).  It was ok.  Was light on flavor though.
















Had a Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale.  Definitely the sweetest so far.  I recall seeing a video from the Shipyard company where a clump of vanilla ice cream was dropped into a glass of this ale...and the glass was coated with caramel.  And I totally get it now.  Definitely more of a stand-alone drink.  A dessert ale, if there is such a thing.















Also tried the pumpkin cider below...

















How could I not?  Look at that Jacko Apple.   I hate being negative since beer tastes are so subjective, but I had a hard time with this one.  The flavor was strange and I couldn't place it at all - didn't taste like pumpkin or apple.

Looking forward to trying the other Sam Adams, and the few strange pumpkin brews we picked up at Wegmans.  I'll be sure to post my faves.

15 comments:

The October boy said...

Have to agree on the Ichabod by New Holland. Pretty straight forward and as you said "ok". But I just had to get it because of the cool packaging. Had a new Lakefront Brewery pumpkin lager which I recommend and as you mentioned the Shipyard is pretty good as well. Have not ventured to the Cider arena yet but I am looking forward to testing those waters as well.

Rot said...

I think the quest is the thing, and not actually finding the Holy Grail of seasonal brews.

I seem to have super high expectations...which isn't helping things.

Frankenrock said...

I think pumpkin ales can either taste good and have a honest pumpkin flavor, or they taste like sweet dirt. I know there's been I bunch I've been unimpressed with.

Try Smuttynose's Pumpkin Ale if you happen to see it anywhere. The Wild Onion Pumpkin cans are great too. Less dessert on both and more beer flavor.

T.D.R. said...

Has anyone tried Elysian Pumpkin Stout? I can't get it here and I like to know if it good enough for a road trip to New York? I think the bottle will be cool my Halloween Party but I don't want bad beer.

Rot said...

nope.
I'll keep an eye out for it.

Hallowaltz...I actually have a smuttynose in the fridge...I'll give it a try tomorrow.

T.D.R. said...

Elysian (Dark o the Moon) Pumpkin Stout. thanks

Shani said...

Pumpkin stout eh? I'll have to try that one....I love pumpkin and am a HUGE fan of stouts!

Addicted to Halloween said...

Would you mind posting where you find these as you find them? I would particularly like to find the Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale since it sounds so amazing.

Rot said...

we took a drive out to the Wegman's in Warrington. It has a ton of seasonal stuff I've never heard of. More than last year....not cheap, but one of the only ways to get single bottles.

Rot said...

In pennsylvania...btw.

Just visited your blog. LOVE it.

Amy said...

I wanted the Ichabad ale to be good, sadly it's very light.

I will continue to preach, Weyerbacher Imp Pump and Dogfish Head Punkin Ale!

Shani said...

I have another recommendation for you my beer swilling friend. Not sure if someone already mentioned this one so I apologize if I'm repeating info.

My hubby went to wegmans today and picked up Long Trail imperial pumpkin. It is SUPER tasty!!! Spiced very nicely. The artwork on the bottle is pretty cool too :-).

Carnevale Obscura said...

I'm currently drinking New Belgium's Pumpkick, it's pretty good though the added cranberry kinda takes away from the pumpkin. I much prefer Dogfish Head's Punkin' ale, though I have yet to see it this year. For a non pumpkin beer but definitely Autumn-y Sierra Nevada's Tumbler is very tasty.

Ragged Grin said...

picked up post road and UFO tonight, New ones for me. We shall see.

Aaron Von Frankenstein said...

the Shipyard "Smashed Pumpkin" is better than the "pumpkinhead", but i haven't seen it in a six pack, just big bottles. it's my favorite of the season.