Sunday, February 7, 2016

Exquisite Corpse

I found no joy in gross mutilation or dismemberment, not then; it was the subtle whisper and slice of the razor that appealed to me. I liked my boys as they were, big dead dolls with an extra weeping crimson mouth or two. I would keep them with me for as much as a week, until the smell in my flat grew obvious. I did not find the odour of death unpleasant. It was rather like cut flowers left too long in stagnant water, a heavy sickish sweetness that coated the nostrils and curled into the back of the throat with every breath.

Poppy Z. Brite

Image source.
Text source.


Sara said...

What did you think of the whole piece?

Rot said...

The book?
I really dug it.
I'm a huge Poppy Z. Brite fan.

Jeanne Wright said...

I haven't read her stuff in years. What a blast from the past.

Sara said...

Actually I had no idea it was an excerpt from a book. LOL. I actually live under a rock. Anyway, I figured it was a standalone piece. I did read the excerpt.

girl6 said...

wow that pic & poppy's words are glorious together. he's such a gorgeous writer, really. he has been thru so much in his life which has shaped him into the man & person he is today. i don't think he would give up any of his personal pains & struggles for anything, especially not his art.

makes me sad & pissed too, that he's copied & ripped off so much & by people who haven't had to go thru any of the personal & spiritual struggles he has gone thru. it's like they use poppy's sufferings & think BY changing it up a little bit here & there (nobody will notice---BUT i always notice) AND pen their name to it.

so terrible to do that to someone's work. it's like, "oh i'll just take someone elses heart & i'll tailor it down & i'll sew MY label on it..Lame.O.

when i come across a thiever of others words....i never read their stuff again. i do that for peeps like Poppy, they deserve that.

LOVE LOVE Poppy & favourite southern boys!!