Saturday, September 23, 2017

Now Playing: Beneath The Floorboards

Why would they not be gone? I paced the floor to and fro with heavy strides, as if excited to fury by the observations of the men --but the noise steadily increased. Oh God! what could I do? I foamed --I raved --I swore! I swung the chair upon which I had been sitting, and grated it upon the boards, but the noise arose over all and continually increased. It grew louder --louder --louder! And still the men chatted pleasantly, and smiled. Was it possible they heard not? Almighty God! --no, no! They heard! --they suspected! --they knew! --they were making a mockery of my horror!-this I thought, and this I think. But anything was better than this agony! Anything was more tolerable than this derision! I could bear those hypocritical smiles no longer! I felt that I must scream or die! and now --again! --hark! louder! louder! louder! louder!

"Villains!" I shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed! --tear up the planks! here, here! --It is the beating of his hideous heart!"


Edgar Allan Poe


By Delvis, from Halloween at High Noon's les Morts Gothique.

1 comments:

girl6 said...

heart static...<333

philly is the keeper of SO many beauties & the Edgar Allan Poe house is def at the top of the list in my book. it's a real MUST see & feel. it's Free admission too. & you can actually go down into the basement unsupervised, i think that's pretty cool. i think that basement is what sparked Poe to eventually pen The Black Cat.


once, when we were there, one of the park rangers told us that Poe was REALLY into like..idk know to say. ummmm, i guess like house styling. he apparently wrote articles on the subject, like tips & stuff on entertaining. the drawing room in his house is pretty small & Poe was actually able to lay the room out in sucha cohesive way that it's actually easy to move around in, seat a lot of people & not look or feel crowded. so i made a comment about him, being sorta like the Martha Stewart of his day & the park ranger laughed & agreed. yeah man, Poe was like a prelude to MSL. a manly man for sure!!! : )

i think standing in Virginia's bedroom is one of the most wonderful places on earth you can stand. especially when the late Fall sun shines thru the windows. so lovely. & i swear you can feel ALL the love & peace Poe found in Virginia & the strong love they shared for one another. he wasn't a gloomy man. he got that out in his writings. he was funny & very loving. he's a keeper. an American Treasure.