Friday, October 17, 2008

Pumpkins And Cornstalks

Going to be buying pumpkins and stalks of corn for the haunt this weekend. Supposed to be sunny and chilly. Been happy with the prices of pumpkins this year - two large pumpkins for ten bucks. Compared to other years and other places I've been, that's pretty good. Seems like that's the average price this year at all the supermarkets.
Some advice for buying cornstalks - wrap them in a king-sized sheet or plastic sheeting, like a giant cigar. Been doing that every year since that one time tiny spiders of every variety started hopping out of the corn and into my car. Getting into my car in the morning and finding webs on the inside of the car was always a treat.


Image source.

5 comments:

Jon Glassett said...

Man, I need a lot of cornstalks this year. Somewhere around 20 bundles would be ideal. Expensive prospect at about $5-6 a pop.

Rot said...

I hear you. Last year it was $4 for a bundle and it's probably higher this year. And they don't give all that much in a bundle.

Grim said...

Luckily my in-laws have acres of corn growing, so that's one thing I'll be able to get for free.

CMR said...

Thanks for the tip, Rot, that would have helped me about 2 weeks ago! ha

The yard is shaping up, photos soon! more pumpkins this year, MORE CORN!

Anonymous said...

"Been doing that every year since that one time tiny spiders of every variety started hopping out of the corn and into my car."

Oh... How... delightful. It's like your own personal mini-horror movie, every morning and 5 times a week. Eep!