Monday, October 27, 2008

Rotten

This'll probably be one of the last blog posts before Halloween. Taking off the rest of the week to prep for the big day, and I won't be around a computer much.

It's strange to finally be in the week of Halloween. I remember as a kid in grade school loving this week. The teacher would turn off the lights in the class and read a ghost story (The Green Ribbon). We'd look forward to art class to make paper decorations to take home. And you'd think about Halloween night, and all that candy. You'd always be caught off guard when your parents decided the time was right for carving pumpkins. We'd draw the faces with black markers so my mother would know where and what to cut - and it always annoyed me when you could see leftover ink around the cut-out eyes or nose or mouth (that's why these days you'll never find me inking a pumpkin before I cut it). Before taking them to the porch, they'd sit on the kitchen table burning for a while as we looked at them. The lights would get turned off and we'd stare some more. You'd smell the singed lid, maybe pull up the pumpkin top and touch that weird charred spot, a perfect little black circle. Then off to the front porch they went.


Had fun doing tag searches to see what I've accumulated with this blog:

Yard Haunts
Tree Ghosts
Field of Scarecrows
Artists
Jack O'Lanterns
Vintage

Look for Halloween 2008 photos on this blog on November 1st.
Hopefully it's chilly and dry.

Happy Halloween.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Halloween, dude. Can't wait to see the pics.

The time is finally at hand.

Andrea said...

"This is Halloween- This is Halloween- Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, Halloween" -NMBC (I know you know)

Happy Happy and good luck with all your prep. Can't wait to see the pics. This post was rad, btw (leftover sharpie marks are laaame).

Grim said...

I hope all goes well for you on the big night. So far so good here. Happy Halloween!

crudedoodle.com said...

happy halloween, rot

Raven176 said...

Halloween Greetings to you as well. I have enjoyed all the pics a ton.
Looking forward to more.
Thanks for the efforts.

Anonymous said...

happy halloween to all, and to all a spooky night

JHMDF said...

I will be taking off Wednesday, thurday, and obviously friday to start the prepping of my haunt....weather is looking good!! about 65 degrees and just a slight breeze.

Cant wait for your pics!

-Scottsquatch

The Captain said...

"It's almost time, kids. The clock is ticking. Be in front of your TV sets for the Horrorthon, followed by the Big Giveaway. Don't miss it. And don't forget to wear your masks. The clock is ticking. It's almost time."

Happy Halloween Rot can't wait to see the Hollowmen!

I saw these and thought of you, so I paid my $1.06 and now I have my very own tree ghosts.

http://jasonemartin.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-tree-ghosts.html

Rot said...

Those are great. : )

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone, I really appreciate it.

Wednesday forecast rain/snow showers...CRAZY for this time of year. Friday still saying sunny and 61 degrees.

Unknown said...

Hey Rot,

Happy Halloween. I haven't posted until today. I just wanted to let you know how inspiring your work is. I always have loved Halloween but when I found your site a few months ago it completely changed the way I look at the holiday. I appreciate your love of natual creepiness, attention to the smallest detail, and true artistry in your creations.

Can't wait to see your pics.

Spookyblue said...

Man, those are some of the best highlights of the first few years of my life. I won some kind of contest in kindergarten and got to take home the class Jack-O-Lantern. Of course, he was starting to curl in on himself, but that's just when they're getting into who they really are. My teacher helped me carry it outside to where my mom waited.

I wanted to make it home all by myself, but it was too heavy. Mom took over for part of the way until we got to the front steps and I got to march triumphantly through the front door.

Heh. The best memories always seem to have something to do with pumpkins and my mom.

Holy Tarra said...

Happy Halloween, Rot!

Your website is truly wonderful and has made my October. Have looked forward to checking your blog every evening. Thanks for all of the inspiration, advice and halloween magic you make. Here's wishing you fantastic weather and lots of trick r treaters on the big night. Forecast in Texas is looking good!

Can't wait to see your pics.

Holy Tarra

Mark Harvey said...

Happy Halloween, Rot.

Looking forward to see what is conjured up.

Mark Harvey