Friday, July 24, 2009

The Tree

For the pumpkins on the Tree were not mere pumpkins. Each had a face sliced into it. Each face was different. Every eye was a stranger eye. Every nose was a weirder nose. Every mouth smiled hideously in some new way. There must have been a thousand pumpkins on this tree, hung high and on every branch. A thousand smiles. A thousand grimaces. And twice-times-a-thousand glares and winks and blinks and leerings of freshcut eyes.
And as the boys watched, a new thing happened.
The pumpkins began to come alive.


Ray Bradbury, The Halloween Tree





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a book reader,but I think I will read this one

Rot said...

It's like eating a bowl of Halloween candy. : )

screaminscott said...

I always wanted to hang pumpkins in my trees.

I must admit though, Ray tries my patience as an author. He is much too obtuse for my tastes.

Anonymous said...

Rot, how do you like the Day of the Dead?

Rot said...

Citizen 'VI',
That one's a favorite of mine and one I've watched a ton of times (I'd be scared to try to count how many times).

You dig it?

Jason-v said...

Thats my idea of halloween. Rot you must have read my response in the halloween town blog.!!!! I cant wait...

Anonymous said...

Er, is Day of the Dead a film? I just meant El Día de los Muertos. :P

Rot said...

oh, THAT day of the dead? : )

I've posted a lot about that actually, and own quite a few pieces from that holiday:

http://pumpkinrot.blogspot.com/search/label/mexican%20day%20of%20the%20dead