Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Let The Right One In

I remember a house on my parents' block, a guy who would invite any trick-or-treater into his living room. Seemed like a nice guy. Excited to see kids in costume. But somehow missing the point that you don't invite the kids into your home. He didn't have any decorations or spooky haunt. All he had was all the lights on. It was just wrong. Like seeing Santa without his beard. And those were the days when you didn't have an older sibling or a parent as a chaperone. So we would go in...and stand uncomfortably in a group and wait for him to drop a chunk of candy into each of our bags. Why would we knock every year? Maybe it was a short-term memory thing, where you'd forget all about it all year long until you rang the bell on each Halloween. And by then it was too late - the door was open, he was there, and you were inside.

Maybe I should get some hypno-therapy to see if I really made it out of there ok.

7 comments:

ScottT said...

Creepy. We had this family up the street from us that would put decorations up in their yard for Halloween and they would invite all us kids in and make us watch this weird collection of video clips on the TV before giving us candy and sending us on our way. I never actually saw the clips myself, but I heard it was something along the lines of what Willy Wonka shows when they take the yacht down the chocolate river in the beginning of the movie. Wacky stuff.

Rot said...

THAT is an awesome story.

Goneferalinidaho said...

That would so not fly nowadays. At least he wasn't a hoarder, was he?

Rot said...

Nope...Not a hoarder : )

Anonymous said...

Scott and Rot: Those are some scary stories! It reminds me of the "Dead Like Me" Halloween episode....*chills*

Anonymous said...

Yea, I remember going to a house like that, except this house had a bunch of adults having a party. They would be all happily drunk and say "come on in"! and they would be looking at our costumes and oooing and awwing and laughing like we were there own personal freakshow....

Good times.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't go for the hypno-therapy myself.

It's probably better not to know.