Monday, February 14, 2011

Cassowaries

Australians trying to rebuild in the wake of Cyclone Yasi have been warned to stay away from cassowaries – huge flightless birds with claws that can disembowel a human – on the hunt for food after their habitat was destroyed by the storm.


When I see stuff like this, I always wonder about the very first time a human came across a creature like this bird. The absolute LAST thing I'd be thinking if I saw a cassowary in a forest would be that it was about to clean my clock. And I'd proabably have a handful of seeds as a friendly gesture as it tore out my guts.

Thanks, Nature.

The article.

A video of the bird in action.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing how deadly these birds are, I would be the one sitting on my porch shooting them....

Anonymous said...

Tourist: Ahh, such a pretty bird....would you like some breadcrumbs....? Hey honey! Take a picture of me with this bird!

AAGGHH! What the f....! HELP!!!

(gurgle gurgle....)

Sara said...

I had never heard of these before. Watched a few YouTube videos on them. They are really frightening. They also remind me a LOT of Velociraptors. Scary.

JD said...

I wouldint worry about them, shotgun beats claws :D

Anonymous said...

"Oh, look at the large peacock, honey...how beautiful!

Rot said...

"go stand next to it. I'll take a photo....closer...closer...crouch down..."

Anonymous said...

"I don't know, Fred. His eyes look a lil, I don't know, mean."
"Oh quit whining and stand by the damn bird. It's a once ina lifetime picture!"