Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Memories Of Halloweens Past

The next entry for this nostalgic blog series comes from my gal Jenna.  I've had the pleasure of seeing this neat item up close, so it was really wonderful hearing about its backstory.

Jenna writes "Over the years people have often asked me, 'Why do you like Halloween so much?' or 'Why do you like such scary things?'  I don't really have an answer for them. Truthfully, I have always found myself drawn to darker interests. Poe and R.L. Stine in grade school. The Twilight Zone and heavy metal in middle school. But when thinking about my favorite memory of Halloweens past (thanks to Mr. Macabre), my thoughts kept coming back to a very non-scary subject: My Grandmother, from now on referred to as Grandie (a nickname of her own creation). She is decidedly not spooky, or scary, and does not relate to my love of horror movies and dark art, but she was formative for my love of Halloween. 

Grandie and my Grandfather lived out in the country, not far from the previously mentioned Hex Hollow. In fact, my first haunted hayride as a kid was the local fire hall hayride that took you though Hex Hollow the week or so before Halloween.

She was Martha before Martha - making loads of homemade candy, Golden Grahams smores bars, and soft pumpkin cookies with caramel frosting in the days leading up to the High Holiday. The house was filled with decorations - a sound activated laughing witch (long gone), tons of paper Hallmark party goods, and a unique ceramic pumpkin that she would save for me to put together (once I was old enough to be trusted not to break it). 



This particular decoration encompasses all the imagery I love and associate with Halloween - ghosts, a spooky tree, a cemetery, and a jack-o-lantern. Each year, I would arrange the ghosts around the tree, always in the same places, like a ritual. The tombstone and the jack-o-lantern were my absolute favorites, and would go in the very front, so that I could take them out and hold them whenever I wanted.  It wasn't truly Halloween until this pumpkin was on display. 

Grandie is still with us and turned 98 this year. Knowing my love of Halloween, she handed down her recipes and decorations over the years as she downsized and moved into a retirement community. I think the ceramic pumpkin was the first decoration she gave me when she moved - she knew how much I loved it. Now I am the one decorating and hosting for Halloween, and though she doesn't always understand the darker decor, she loves seeing how we spend our holiday, and will forever be an important part of my Halloween."



For anyone interested in submitting, you can email me at pumpkinrot @ gmail . com (remove the spaces, of course!)


18 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

That is very cool, it just takes something that sparks a memory from our younger days to make us smile and look forward to October 31st.

Jenna said...

Thank you :)

Raven176 said...

That's a beautiful piece! Grandie sounds awesome, and 98 years young? Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Scarecrow Atelier said...

What a special heirloom.
And the fact that it has survived all this time unscathed is amazing.

Probably an unmistakable sign that it ended up in exactly the right hands.

Mike C(JASONV123) said...

Lovely piece for sure Jenna! Definitely something that brings back the memories just by glancing at it!!

Revenant Manor said...

What a charming piece; I don't recall seeing anything quite like it. Coupled with the backstory it's like the very embodiment of the series' concept!

Those ghosts are wonderfully whimsical, and the jack has the quintessential carved little face.

I especially love the idea that the vignette gets to be re-created annually by practiced hands. Each year, carefully placing and adjusting all of the pieces, and initiating the season by doing so...like turning a key in a lock.

Truly, a perfect addition to the series and a joy to see and read.

Jenna said...

She is pretty awesome :) Thank you!

Jenna said...

Appreciate that so much!

Jenna said...

Thanks!!

Jenna said...

Appreciate the kind words, as always :)

Autumnleaf said...

What a treasured memory.....and a magical keepsake to bring you right back to those memories. Grandie sounds like a treasure herself. Thank you for sharing this Jenna!

K.O. said...

I LOVE this one!! Such a cool item, and a great story behind it. Grandie must be so proud to have her Halloween collectible featured on this blog! ^_^

Jenna said...

That's so sweet - thank you!

Jenna said...

Awww, thank you! I think she is :)

Lady M said...

Dang - that thing is so cute! I bet it brings back lots of amazing childhood memories.

VeraL said...

Jenna, do you know anything about the providence of this pumpkin? Age or where it came from? I don't recall ever seeing anything like this. It's beautiful and very unique. As a child I can see why you would have been drawn to it.

Jenna said...

thanks!! it really does :)

Jenna said...

Thanks so much! I have no idea where it is from, but I suspect from a stall in my hometown farmer's market that sold ceramics, back in the early-mid 80's.