Friday, December 30, 2011

Giger: Artist And Haunter

Thus I could combine my two hobbies - my enthusiasm for railways and my penchant for the morbid and the fantastic - in this one object, the ghost train. I built human skeletons from cardboard, wire, and plaster, and trained coloured lights on them with a pocket torch. My playmates were dressed in white sheets, or were hidden along the track operating mechanisms which raised the lid of a coffin, moved a hanged man slightly on a branch, or opened the jaws of a hideous monster.



As a huge H.R. Giger fan, I was thrilled to find a gift under the tree which I probably should have always owned - H.R. Giger's Necronomicon. It's beautiful, and in addition to being packed with his brilliant artwork, there are some amazing tales of his youth and his path towards Alien.

Check it out here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case you don't already own it, I highly recommend 'GIGER'S ALIEN' to anyone that is as much a fan of ALIEN as I am. Great tidbits of information and production art leading up to the incredible final design of the sets and the creature itself.

Rot said...

Don't own it.
Thanks for the recommendation.
I'll definitely snatch it up.

Marrow said...

I NEED to do this.

Hopsy the beer drinking clown said...

I own a number of Giger books including this one, it is incredible, what a visionary!

Jeff said...

Astonishing images. Great book. I've gone back to it repeatedly from time to time for inspirations or just creative jolts to get myself moving.

JHMDF said...

Not sure if this book has them in it, but the mic stands he designed for my boss is in a few of the books. I get to touch it every show :).