Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Fright Night Hope?

I think they're toying with us. David Tennant, the new Peter Vincent, is hardly a Criss Angel type. I'm feeling a LITTLE better about it now (though not much).
From DreadCentral.com:

According to The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision Blog David Tennant, best known for starring in the BBC series "Doctor Who," and Christopher Mintz-Plasse (KickAss, Super Bad) have joined the cast of Craig Gillespie's Fright Night remake for DreamWorks. Tennant will play Peter Vincent, a character who in the original movie was played by Roddy McDowall as the host of a late-night horror show. In the remake he’s a Las Vegas magician whose show revolves around horror-movie imagery. Vincent claims to be a vampire expert, but when the teen turns to him for assistance, he’s less than helpful. Mintz-Plasse is playing Evil Ed, [Charlie Brewster's] best friend who feels slighted that Charlie has left his nerdy past behind and thus joins the vampire’s coven.


8 comments:

Aron said...

Ok I can't see them piercing Doctor Who (keep the tweed!) so that casting isn't too shabby. The casting for Evil is spot-on, though. Can't say I'm optimistic but I'll approach with caution.

Rot said...

And now at least it makes sense (and I'm assuming here) that the magic act will be called FRIGHT NIGHT...

I dig the Evil Ed choice too.

Jon said...

What, no Will "Shouting Is Hilarious" Ferrell? Seems like an obvious choice to me.

Oh, well. Hopefully they make up for it with lots of CGI.

Otaku said...

David Tennant is a good choice for Peter Vincent. My wife claims that he's the best of all the Doctor's (I'll stick with Tom Baker, though). Maybe there is some hope for this remake, after all. I just hope they don't use over-the-top CG effects. Remember what happened to "The Haunting"?

Damian Michael AKA HalloweeNut said...

I've never actually seen Fright Night. Have to put that on my list of things to see... Anyways, I have to say: the guy they've cast doesn't look like the Cris Angel/magician/Goth type either. Plus, the whole Horror Host thing is a lot less cliched!

Jack Oh' Lantern said...

I am totally looking forward to this! Even if it isn't fantastic, it'll be so worth it....:)

Steve Ring said...

Ben Stiller is Jerry Dandridge!

Kidding aside, I don't like much about Fright Night 2 but it's not without it's own charm. That one had a roller-boogie vampire so maybe a magician wouldn't be so outlandish for the franchise, run-of-the-mill horror hosts being so antiquated after all.

The Gill-Man said...

HMMMMMMM...I'm a bit more hopeful now. When they said "Cris Angel Type", I guess they meant he'd be a guy with a magic act on The Strip in Vegas. Not exactly an accurate description, but I like the idea in concept of a "Fright Night" magic act. It makes sense, since so few TV markets even have horror hosts anymore (a sad indicator of the decline of Western Civilization, if you ask me), that they'd have to have some other vehicle for Vincent. What is really important is that Peter Vincent has to be a showman, first and foremost.

Tennant is a rather inspired choice, so I'm a bit more interested now.