Monday, September 15, 2008

Plastic Chip Pumpkin


Saw this photo and it brought back a ton of memories of the first Halloween decoration I can truly remember. Back in the 70's, Captain Crunch cereal had an offer on the back of the box to mail in some proof of purchase and some dough and you'd get a cool plastic pumpkin decoration made from tiny plastic chips that look like bent holes from a hole-puncher. I remember the day it arrived and how excited I was. Running my fingers over the plastic lumpy face. My parents still have it at their house and use it every year.


Image source.

4 comments:

Creepy Margaret said...

Yes, yes, yes! I remeber those. It was like they were heat fused together. Wow, Memory Lane...

Spookyblue said...

Our neighbor across the street would put that same pumpkin up on the front of his house every year. And orange plastic with JOL lamps in the front windows.

Nothing was more exciting than to see his house light up for Halloween and then go digging in the upstairs closets for our own decorations to put up.

Unknown said...

Holy crap, I remember those!

Mizmar said...

That's the first Halloween decoration I can remember having also. You can find them all over ebay. There's also a ghost made by the same process and, I think, by the same company.

Fond memories evoked by that decoration for me as well.