Friday, March 8, 2024

Building Spook Houses

Sitting here approaching the halfway mark to Halloween has given me some time to reflect about the Halloween that was.  Halloween 2023 was really exciting... and very different.  In a lot of ways it was a risk.  

I have never really blogged about where my Haunt themes/concepts come from, as it always felt odd or like some kind of embellishment when I tried to put it into words.  The easiest description is that each Haunt concept just popped in there.
What?  What just popped in there?

Every year, I'll be minding my own business when an image of some kind will flash in my mind...  it could be one simple thing like a cloth sack with torn eye, nose, and mouth holes, with ugly rotting skin underneath, or it could be something more complete, like the Devil, a Witch, and a Ghost around a massive cauldron.  It could be the color green and a series of corpse-like Ghosts rising from a cemetery.  There was even one that I ignored... it involved a row of ancient "statues," resembling the different icons of Halloween - a made-up origin story of the essentials/elementals of Halloween:  The Witch, The Jack O'lantern, the Scarecrow,...  the Ghost.  I have always felt intensely grateful that my brain worked in this way, sending me Haunt concepts... letting me know it was time to get to work.  

This year, the Haunt theme came in the form of a suggestion.  It was during a conversation about a Hallmark Halloween sound effects cassette from 1987.  Jenna asked if I'd ever consider doing a throwback Haunt, something that screamed the 80s, with all the usual tropes.  She suggested it should be called 1987.  We started talking about those things we loved in Old School Haunts:  coffins, bats, strobe lights, hay bales, quickly-constructed props and dummies, old plastic masks, and an insane amount of spider webs.  At one point she asked if I was writing any of this down.  I wasn't.  So I grabbed a small tablet, and it became the "1987" Haunt idea book. 

"Are you writing this down?" was something of a regular routine as we worked out the details of our SPOOK HOUSE display.  I filled its pages with chicken scratch and crude sketches.  Our discussions eventually led to two other "chapters" in this small booklet... future Haunt concepts for the coming years.  

Over my many MANY years of home haunting, I have received an abundance of suggestions and Haunt ideas from other people.  Coworkers telling me I should do Pirates or an Evil Carnival... neighbors saying I should make a lawn of moving props... family and friends telling me I should do some bloody, gory display.  I ignored all of it.  The Haunt Themes that appeared in my head were enough.  Outside intervention seemed like a foreign concept, to put it mildly.  My ideas were exactly that - mine.  Until 1987.

As with all of my previous Haunts, SPOOK HOUSE was a ton of hard work, and definitely the usual amount of stress.  Stress to get things right, and to work out the typical problems and issues that occur when putting on a one-night-only Dark display.  But unlike previous years, it was also the most fun I've ever had building it... both in my head and on the big night.  We dreamt up a Spook House from the late 80s while remembering to have all the fun that should accompany such a thing.  We savored the Halloween season.  We visited haunted attractions, traveled to New England, drank autumnal cocktails, and went on photoshoot outings with a strange Witch wearing a very tall hat.  We had fun.  And loads of it.

Halloween 1987:  SPOOK HOUSE was our love letter to those peculiar houses you had on your block or remember as a kid while on a school bus in late October.  Those houses with all the appropriate iconography:  witches and ghosts and scarecrows and an old coffin with a corpse inside.  It was also our attempt to say that this was where it all really began.  It wasn't a spooky world on a porch trying very hard not to be a porch...  it was a Spook House on a porch, with a funeral for someone named Morris.  There was a pumpkin-headed ghost nearby in a fake lawn cemetery... there were three masked witches with glowing red eyes.  There were screams and evil laughter and scary sounds from a Hallmark Halloween cassette from 1987.  And it was fun.

I owe so much to Jenna's involvement with this display.  Her ideas and hard work helped shape it into what you see below.  So many choices were hers... the coffin, the cemetery, the lighting colors, the strobe light, the hay bales, orange lights inside each corn stalk, the pumpkin faces from old 80s photos and advertisements, and those glorious spider webs (if I never touch another fake web for as long as I'm alive that will be perfectly fine with me).  And I'm EXTREMELY grateful.  She kept us on schedule during the entire season, and she made sure we had fun the entire time.  She also helped me realize that my brain will do perfectly fine cultivating an idea that wasn't my very own.  And she proved the old adage that sometimes two heads are better than one.








13 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

That's a really cool story, it's nice to hear that 2 people can put their ideas together and create something very cool for our favorite night of the year. I remember having that Hallmark cassette of Halloween sounds, and put it to good use. However, when CD'S came out, I switched formats, and I still have all of them today.
I wish that I'd thought to save that tape.

Rot said...

Yeah, so many things from back then that I wish I kept. Never knowing the quality and style of those old decorations were going to be a rare thing one day.

Mike C(JASONV123) said...

Definitely felt like 1987. I've always admired your determination for the meticulous things you do! Keep it up!🎃🎃🎃

Rot said...

Thank you!

Scarecrow Atelier said...

Beautiful memories and a fascinating look at the making of 1987 Spook House. And that there is a person who was able to ignite a creative storm in you.

1987 was definitely a primal force of details, colors and homage to so many things from the past. Everything felt right and very well thought out.

You two, you and Jenna, are simply a brilliant duo.

What you two achieved in 2022 and 2023 was so incredibly impressive. And definitely leaves you wanting more.

And what could be nicer than a person who shares your passion and knows how to get you out of your comfort zone. To shift your perspective on everything a little and suddenly realize what new opportunities this opens up.

I wish you both all the best for what may come next.

Robert
Scarecrow Atelier

Rot said...

Thank you SO much for sharing that, Robert. We appreciate that immensely.
I think you’re going to really dig 2024’s theme!

Revenant Manor said...

Nothing beats a good story.

The surface-level funereal display itself was a great story. It really could have stood alone; just shriveled old Morris in his now-too-large suit dimly lit by some creepy candelabras is already a great Halloween vignette.

But, there were other layers…the tracts supplying additional depth, the wonderful choice of audio, and all of the other various era-appropriate throwback elements combining for additional darkly whimsical context for those open to it.

It turns out that the story is also very enjoyable as a peek behind the curtain. (personally, I can’t begin to describe how familiar the notion of animated Halloween discussion and “Are you writing this down?” is, and in the very BEST of ways)

You guys combined to create something layered and enjoyable at whichever level the viewer / visitor chose to engage.

Love for the holiday, and love of that era, compounded through collaboration by folks with a mutual appreciation for each is a powerful formula. And all of it fairly screamed 'this was fun!'

Yeah, nothing beats a good story...it turns out that the story about the story is no exception.

Rot said...

Thanks so much, RM!
Way too kind of you. Really appreciate it.
Loving that you enjoyed that oversized suit! haha

Always a treat when I see an RM comment awaiting moderation.

Jenna said...

Thanks everyone, for the kind words and support!
It is really nice to hear you all enjoyed the haunt so much, looking forward to this year, and seeing what everyone comes up with :)

Evil Vines Cemetery said...

It was a beautifully executed haunt, and yes, very different from your previous themes. I gasped when I saw one of your preview shots of the green color wash on your house. I thought, that's a whole lot of color for Rot! But it was fun and refreshing seeing you (both of you!) run wild with 1987 and bringing all the kitchsy, throwback Halloween decor into it. Jenna, I particularly loved the orange lights in the cornstalks. It was one of those things where I thought, how have I never thought of that before?! It seems so obvious now. =)

Also, good for you for staying centered on making the season fun. It's why we started this home haunting. You know you're doing something right when you can put together a great haunt and still enjoy all the October things.

Jenna said...

Thanks so much, Evil Vines! We have been loving the photos you have been sharing on IG :)

Rot said...

Thanks, EV !
Really appreciate those kind words.

Lady M said...

That is an interesting look into the evolution of last years haunt. I respect people who can change it up every year. The creativity and time commitment are beyond me.