Monday, April 29, 2024

Dandelion Wine

Dandelion wine. The words were summer on the tongue. The wine was summer caught and stoppered...sealed away for opening on a January day with snow falling fast and the sun unseen for weeks...
― Ray Bradbury


A while back I posted about a terrific dandelion wine from the Maple River Winery.  As a Ray Bradbury fanatic (lunatic), I knew I had to get my hands on this mysterious wine mentioned in his novel with the same name.  In the book, it was sipped during the non-summer months to keep that season alive and well on cold winter days.  For me, it was always perfect on a hot summer day on the porch, served extremely chilled.  Well, the Maple River Winery closed its doors a couple years ago and the Bradbury tradition was no more.  We found a local winery that offered this unusual varietal, but unfortunately, they make their version with grapes and not entirely with dandelions, so it was a super sweet dessert wine that had none of the charm and mystery of Maple River's.

Recently, Jenna found a dandelion wine being sold by the Hidden Legend Winery.  I took a chance and ordered a bottle.  Happy to report that this is the stuff.  As they describe it on their site:
This is not your grandmother’s dandelion wine, but it’s pretty darn close. It’s been approvingly described as “delicate” and “grassy” but we just think of it as summer on a back porch in Montana. Hidden Legend Dandelion Wine is best-appreciated mid-afternoon, by itself, or with a very soft cheese.

A perfect description.  And four more bottles are on their way to chill those hot humid summer days that will soon be here.




5 comments:

Lady M said...

The other day I did not have any greens for my smoothie so I picked some dandelions and added those.

Rot said...

That’s wonderful

Raven176 said...

Seeing Dandelion Wine always makes me smile. The stories my Mom told me of her grandparents making it in the bathtub of their home during prohibition. Good thing for the outhouse as no one was allowed in there.....ha.

Rot said...

haha that's fantastic.
And an amazing memory.

Willow Cove said...

Always wanted to try elderberry wine.