Thursday, July 11, 2024

Memories Of Halloweens Past

Following up Mr. Macabre's favorite nostalgic possession comes something all the way from Austria - a very old (perhaps 100 years) grain sickle.  Scarecrow Atelier shares this special piece that's been in his family since the days it was used in the fields.  

Many years ago, the rusty blade was found while rummaging in the attic of his family home.  "It fascinated me so much that I couldn't get it out of my head," he shares.  "For me, it was synonymous with the harvest. The smell of hay and straw from a hard time when people told one or two scary stories in the evenings by the flickering candlelight.  And when you woke up in the middle of the night to a thunderstorm, you thought about the story from the evening again. You looked out the window and lightning lit up the night and the scarecrow that was standing out there in the field.  Watching over the crops and... why is it so close to the house? I had put it on the hill?  This story played in my head as I held the sickle in my hand in the attic. My love for scarecrows was awakened."

Thanks, Scarecrow Atelier!  It's wonderful trying to imagine what this sickle has seen over the decades.  And it's really perfect that it's currently cherished by a man who builds fantastic scarecrows.

For anyone interested in submitting, you can email me at pumpkinrot @ gmail . com (remove the spaces, of course!)

5 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

That is awesome, I wonder how old it is and how many times it was used? We have things so easy now that seeing this makes you appreciate how hard our ancestors had to work just to get by.
It's a really cool remembrance of the Fall harvest and Halloween.

Scarecrow Atelier said...

The sickle was the trigger, but it was your art and your creations that showed me what was possible.

And so a spark turned into a wildfire.
I thank you so much that your blog makes it possible to share something like this.
And connects all the creative Halloween artists out there and brings them together.

And also a huge thank you to Mr Macabre who had the idea. I'm really looking forward to more posts and I'm excited to see what else comes next.

Jenna said...

Such a classic symbol of the harvest - really enjoyed reading this memory!

Jerem Morrow said...

Incredible. Oh the hunt for a large scythe, myself.

Revenant Manor said...

An aged bladed harvest implement...hard to imagine something more appropriate, really.