Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Dead End Cemetery: Halloween 2013

It'd be an honor to be buried in this cemetery.  I'd want it both ways and request that half of me be buried in a plot and the other half incinerated in the crematorium...  I'd prefer it if my ashes were to settle on the surrounding homes and cars.


Haunts like Mr. Macabre's below were what it was all about when I was trick-or-treating.  You'd see a display like this one and see the amount of work that went into it, and the vastness of the operation, and you'd be scared to even go up for candy (at least that's how I was as a kid).  You'd see multiple creatures roaming the grounds (those were always extra unnerving to me [and I think I always assumed they were evil teens waiting to steal my candy {or worse}]).  I came from a house where anyone past the age of 15 never wore a costume in any shape or form.  But here were adults manning a Haunt and using real fire, and running a crematorium no less - with a smoking chimney.

When you went up there and got your candy, you felt really proud of yourself.  And you definitely felt safer once you reached the sidewalk.  This'll be hard to articulate, but it almost felt like those times where you're lost and suddenly see a landmark or a street name that you recognize, and all is well again.  Haunters create this entire mini world where an ordinary suburban home becomes something peculiar and out-of-place, and unsafe.  Your logic and experience tells you it's just Halloween, but your senses are whispering something else entirely.

Here's to those folks who didn't just hand out candy on a pumpkin-less porch.  Here's to those folks who blared Alice Cooper or a sound effects cassette.  Who sometimes used a real casket from God-knows-where.  Who followed you around dressed as an ugly rubber-faced Witch.  Who made Halloween something better than Christmas.














7 comments:

Scarecrow Atelier said...

So much work and love goes into it. If there was something like that in our area, the owners would probably have to chase me away for staying in the garden too long. The idea with the chimney is a real highlight for me.

MR. Macabre said...

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot. I've always tried to make something that I would have loved to see when I was still a kid going trick or treating.

Wren said...

These photos are so great…. Reminds me of the neighborhood I grew up in. Most people got really in to the holiday - amazing homemade decor and props, houses handing out cans of soda and spicy crab soup for the adults. They weren’t afraid to scare us either- one guy had a strobe light inside his foyer, and would knock back instead of opening the door for trick or treaters. After a few knocks, he would burst through the door and scare us. Thanks, Mr. Macabre, for the wonderful prop photos and bringing back those memories.

Revenant Manor said...

That's good stuff!

I'd like to think I'd have made it all the way to the door, but I'm not totally convinced.

MR. Macabre said...

If/when a trick or treater was too afraid to make it to the front porch, I always considered it a compliment.

Rot said...

Wren, those are SUCH great memories.

Damian Michael AKA HalloweeNut said...

Such a wonderful haunt. Makes me feel like a kid again just looking at it.