Friday, June 9, 2023

Baldwin's Book Barn

After our visit to the Brandywine Museum, we stopped by a local bookstore in a massive old barn.  The five-story barn was built in 1822.  It's beautiful inside.  And quiet.  The air smelled of old wood, ancient mothballs, and an almost chocolatey scent of leather.  We walked on its creaking floors and moaning stairs and slowly explored every part of it.


I almost expected a book to float from one side of the aisle to the other, like in Ghostbusters.
Though at one point, a book did fall on its own the next aisle over.  It had opened to a specific page, of course, but there was nothing mysterious nor prophetic in there.  No augury to speak of.












8 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

It looks very cool, I love going to bookstores. My wife and I could spend a good chunk of the day in an old place like this.

Bill Cosby, really? Talk about having a fall from grace, damn.

Rot said...

Yeah… that was a crazy thing to see there

Autumnleaf said...

I'm desperately hoping that the Compleat Squash book came home with you. The photo underneath that one is beautiful! The backlit arched door surrounded by dark ambience is frameable imho.

Lady M said...

Compleat Squash looks like a book for you.

A.Leonard said...

You were in my neck of the woods. That place is fun, especially when it’s colder & they fire up the big black iron wood stove that is right there when you first walk in.

Rot said...

So cool about the stove!

And the book did not come home with us…
Not sure why!

Nixotron said...

I love Baldwin's. I live close by, so I go there quite a bit. It's kind of labyrinth with all those little rooms everywhere. When I first went there several years ago, you could even go up in the attic.

Evil Vines Cemetery said...

Duck or grouse! Hahahaha!