Thursday, August 31, 2023

Concert: Ghost



We saw Ghost for the first time in concert last Friday night, and it was bananas.  I was curious what the crowd would be like.  I didn't really know what Ghost's target audience was.  I figured there would be plenty of Goth folk, and a sea of black attire (and I was right).  Happy to report that Ghost's demographics include literally every age.  We saw small children, and we saw some older people whom I first thought had made some kind of grievous error and would soon be asking when Neil Diamond would be coming out.  We saw costumes and loads of face paint.  Someone even had antlers on their hat.  And everyone seemed to be jittery with excitement.  Imagine an audience filled with the Hellfire club from Stranger Things.   

The opening act was Amon Amarth, a Swedish death metal band that's been around since the early 90s.  Their stage props were so impressive, and they were the perfect warm up for Ghost.  

For their song Put Your Back into the Oar, they ordered us to sit in our seats... and row.  And we did.  We rowed and laughed and cheered.  Then it was time for Ghost.

I've never seen such a beautiful production.  There was a theatricality there that was electric.  Hearing all of our favorite songs live was utterly insane.  And Tobias Forge is hilarious, so there was an extremely fun atmosphere behind it all.  It was a hot night too, so I found myself wondering what it must be like performing for hours under those heavy costumes and head gear.  They never slowed down.  It was an exceptional show.

Below are some photos and some video from that night.  We will definitely be seeing Ghost again.  














6 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

Their production looks very cool, so does Amon Amarth's. I'm a fan of Amon Amarth, and have several of their CD's in my music collection, and in my music library on my phone. I haven't be able to see them live yet, I've always had to skip them when they've been in town.
Ghost have been underwhelming for me, they were first hyped as a Satanic Black Metal band when their first record came out, and they're definitely not that.
I'm glad you had a good time though. I was at a BATUSHKA concert on Friday night down in Seattle. Those guys are the real deal, and they're amazing live.
Check them out.

Revenant Manor said...

So, they just came right out of the gate with 'Kaiserion'? Nice!

Everything looks and sounds amazing, and COMPLETELY over the top...just what you'd want.

I'm really looking forward to getting my chance!

Lady M said...

My Niece and Nephew came to visit me recently but really they came to see Ghost in Denver. They had a brilliant time so yes I really need to check out their music as they come highly recommended.

Sean said...

Going to see Ghost on September 3rd.

Justin D said...

How GHOST writes a song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Uz9xkBoxs
"Scooby Doo chase music" still gets me every time.

K.O. said...

Love that y'all went! I've always been super curious about this band because of their aesthetic. Looks like their shows are a total blast. Sadly I just missed the Texas leg of the tour. :/