Thursday, October 19, 2023

Halloween 1990

An oldie for sure.  Ruined with a flash camera of course (thanks, mom).  The late 80s were really the start of the cemetery/groundbreaker/zombie yard display layout that would follow for the next decade or so.  I often try to remember what it was that made my brother and I go in the direction of zombies, as we never saw it in a book or magazine, and the internet didn't exist as yet.  And we never really saw a home haunt in our neighborhood that featured zombies.  Though I guess the lawn cemetery was semi-common, with maybe a stuffed glove hand popping up here and there.  


I do recall us just silently accumulating some plastic and ceramic skulls from mail catalogs knowing they would become the heads of a small zombie horde.  We never even said the words "We'll build a bunch of zombies."  We just moved forward in a direction without even communicating the plans to each other.  Strange.  

Feeling super grateful that those impulses were there, and that the undead were rising.





4 comments:

Revenant Manor said...

I love absolutely everything about these images.

(right down to the ambience-destroying-but-period-appropriate flash)

Otaku said...

I remember finding your website back in 2004 or so, and I was instantly enthralled with the concept of graveyards with groundbreakers. I must have hit your site dozens of times a week that year and I still get inspiration from your creativity. After getting your valuable advice on techniques and materials it took me several attempts to find my niche and start cranking out the undead. Thanks, Rot, from a fellow haunter-for-life!

Mike C(JASONV123) said...

Love it! The early days.

Rot said...

Thanks, guys!