Thursday, October 26, 2023

Remembering THE MASK

You might remember an old blog post where I talked about my first Michael Myers mask.

I recently found it in a box of old masks I had accumulated over the years.  I was really surprised to see it as I had assumed it melted away at my parents' house in some abandoned Halloween box.  But there it was, battle scars and all, staring up at me, with the darkest eyes... the Devil's eyes.

I had forgotten that I had painted the lips a weird brown color.  I was trying to achieve that amazing shadowy look from the HALLOWEEN IV movie poster, where the mask has never looked better.  It's such amazing film poster art.  Meanwhile, I essentially gave Michael Myers some lipstick (it looked great in the dark though!).

Nothing but the best memories of being in that mask and overalls with faux bullet holes, sitting on my parents' cold cement steps in the shadows on Halloween night.  Sitting on the steps, staring at a street; not seeing the street, looking past the street; looking at this night, inhumanly patient, waiting for some secret, silent alarm to trigger me off... to hand out candy.

Behold Don Post Studios' THE MASK.



And here's the HALLOWEEN IV poster that led to those horrid dark lips.



7 comments:

K.O. said...

It's so cool that you found the MM mask of your youth! You should display it on a bust in a glass case. Preserve that legendary artifact!

Rot said...

But the lipstick!

MR. Macabre said...

Lots of great memories I'll bet.

Sara said...

The darkest lips…the devil’s lips.
Wow.

Rot said...

Haha

Revenant Manor said...

I love the dedication and eye for detail that would lead one to try to address that coloration detail.

No desire to break out the tweezers have a go at the eyebrows?

Rot said...

haha
that's hilarious.