Sunday, January 7, 2024

Memorial Cards



Handing out candy and memorial cards on Halloween felt like a weird social experiment.  I had heard so much about those religious tracts being secretly slipped into trick-or-treaters bags and now here I was doing something similar.  And dressed as Michael Myers no less.  

I would scoop up some [world class] candy and pluck a card from the inner bowl and try to do all of this inconspicuously.  Kids are smart.  They knew something out of the ordinary was happening.  And the ones without masks absolutely looked confused and on alert.  One kid even asked "WHAT'S THAT?!"  Thankfully Michael Myers is a quiet man.  

Since Halloween, I have occasionally found myself wondering where those cards are. We easily had over a hundred kids come for candy, but I never count, and I had ordered 150 cards, and they all went.  Initially I was giving out one per child, but then started to spread them out as my supply dwindled.  I really hope as those bags and plastic pails got poured out at home or sifted through in the days that followed, that those kids, and their parents, got a kick out of seeing our weird funeral cards for our dear uncle Morris.  





7 comments:

Lady M said...

Those card are fabulous! I love stuff like that - the vintage graphics and the little poem. Hopefully a few of those made it onto a bulletin board or a refrigerator door.

K.O. said...

SUCH a cool detail to add to your haunt this year. It's so exciting to imagine where those cards might end up years from now, and whether one of those trick or treaters will one day connect the dots and discover they have a Pumpkinrot souvenir! I think including the funeral cards was a stroke of genius this year.

MR. Macabre said...

If you had any of those left, it would be very cool if you mailed them to some of the regulars here. I'd add it to my collection of Halloween items.

Rot said...

Thanks, guys!

Mike C(JASONV123) said...

I loved the idea!! Lucky kids... I'd love to have one 🫠

Rot said...

Thanks!

Ragged Grin said...

This was one of my favorite aspects of 87, we did paper "logo cards" one year and looped it around the baggies we handed out and I felt so brilliant. I love the idea of the TOTS talking home something a little spooky looking along with their candy. An added reminder of the holiday.