Friday, September 12, 2014

Product Review

We bought one of these thinking it'd be a fun weird Halloween decoration that would look a lot like the green liquid from John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.  And it kinda does look like that, until the sensor shuts the lantern off.  There's no option to keep the light on continuously.  So you either pay someone to continually tap it (or force your mother to do it), or you take it back to the store, or you throw a fit like Jesus in the Temple (which was my option [before taking it back]).

Wish I read some online reviews.  Seems everyone hates these things for the same reason.


9 comments:

Terrormaster said...

This thing has "hack me" written all over it. Where did you pick this up at? Can it be gotten online?

Rot said...

Walmart has them for twenty bucks.
When researching my options after I discovered the stupid sensor thing, it seems Grandin Road sells them but due to all the complaints they're going to change the design and issue new ones to folks who bought them.

Liz Dearth said...

Is there a button you could tape down, or set a heavy object, like a cat, on said button? looks cool!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Terrormaster. It's hack time.

There's got to be a way to keep it on constantly. Looks pretty cool.

Rot said...

nope.
just off/sensor.

stinks.

QSI said...

sensor... as in motion sensor?

Put something like an old-school metronome in front of it. Not only would the constant back-and-forth ticking add a whole telltale heart vibe to it, but you'd get a truly authentic "My mind is slowly going crazy" kind of experience.

... except for the brief moments where you have to stop and wind up the metronome again, naturally.

Terrormaster said...

They have orange ones at Lowes. The one on display was continuously going. Didn't appear to be sensored in any noticeable way. Maybe the panels can be swapped.

Rania said...

The ones at Lowes are 20 bucks, are orange and blue cause they are Fire and Ice. They just stay on. I'm using them in my Night Circus.

Jon Glassett said...

Such a cool idea. Shame about the poor switch/sensor design. I agree with Terrormaster: hack it to pieces. I bet that sensor wouldn't be too hard to bypass if you could find it. Rip the sensor out and splice the remaining wires together. I might hunt one down and see if I can make it work...