Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Biomechanical World

I love that Hans Ruedi Giger (pronounced GEEGER, btw) will always be the father of biomechanical design.  That was his jam.  He invented it.  Giger has cited inspirations along the way, but his work is not derivative of their drawings and paintings (Salvador Dalí...Alfred Kubin).  He was his own thing.  To the point that his influence is instantly recognizable in other artists' works.  It can't be hidden.  Literally never.  And that's pretty neat.


As much as I wasn't a fan of the recent ALIEN films, I do love that his name appears in the credits of those films.  And in the current video games that exist.  The stories are literally built around his designs.  The settings feel alien and foreign because of Giger.  The atmosphere is smooth, shiny, dark, and terrifying.

And it appears Hollywood will never stop squeezing that intellectual property, so I think Giger shall live forever in xenomorphic splendor.  

Wren sent me the below IG account... Biomechanical World.  It's loaded with photos of Giger's work that I've never seen before.  Pretty amazing stuff, of course.

Click below...


Thanks, Wren!

2 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

He was definitely one of a kind, I love all of his stuff.

Mr. Macabre

Rot said...

Amen.