Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Hocus Pocus

Eating crow is a colloquial idiom, used in some English-speaking countries, that means humiliation by admitting having been proven wrong after taking a strong position.

My good friend Wren was in town, and we squeezed in a bunch of fun pre-Autumn activities.  Turns out a viewing of Hocus Pocus was one of those activities.  I realize I've been pretty outspoken about my lack of fondness for Bette Midler over the years.  And I tried to figure out where it all went wrong.  Where SHE went wrong.  I never really saw her act in anything.  Never saw her interviewed anywhere.  Don't really know much about her personally.

Essentially (and I'm not proud of this), I'm pretty sure it has to do with that one song of hers.  You know the one.  Played at weddings and funerals (hopefully at my funeral):  Wind Beneath My Wings.  It is still my contention that this song's success is the result of a Faustian Bargain.  One where the fine print mentions me personally and specifically as being excluded from the charm spell affecting the millions of people who enjoy this song.  I, you see, hear the real song.  As mentioned in the fine print.

So, this song led to certain opinions.  About her acting.  About Hocus Pocus.  And it reminded me of an incident that occurred one Christmas season at work many years ago.  An older guy that worked in our department was talking about his holiday plans and I mentioned egg nog.  He commented that he hated egg nog.  I asked when was the last time he sipped this heavenly elixir, mentioning that a person's tastes can change over the decades.  He replied "Oh, I've never tried it."  This resulted in a five-minute theatrical tirade from yours truly about the absurdity of such an opinion in the absence of actually trying egg nog.  Luther did as he always did - he laughed at me.  We understood each other.

Chapter 2:  I Am Luther

Turns out Hocus Pocus (as most people reading this already know) is a fantastic movie.  A Halloween movie. I went in thinking that I'd just like the set design or the fact that it was filmed during the Autumn season.  But it's a solid movie all around.  Great performances (especially from Bette Midler).  An interesting and fun story.  Very likeable characters.  A super cute black cat.  And true villains - the Witches were actually sinister heartless Witches.  I found myself thinking that it reminded me of Halloween specials back in the early 80s.  

The movie was made in 1993.  Sometimes it takes me a while.  And sometimes it helps to have a push.

Thanks, Wren, for that.





22 comments:

Willow Cove said...

Still waiting for the “Gotcha”!
Bette must have kick up her charm spell like 5G ;)
I always loved the Gary and Penny Marshall scenes.

Rot said...

haha
There shall be no gotcha!

And I loved that he played Satan. Definitely not what I was expecting.

Rot said...

And I dug how Bette Midler's character was the butt of many a joke. That helped ease me into liking her. haha

Willow Cove said...

I’m still planning on doing an interpretive dance to her #1 song at your funeral.
I just need a partner who can pick me up (like in Dirty Dancing)

Rot said...

Sara comes to mind.

Revenant Manor said...

OK, so, this is fascinating to me....all of that up there ^ describes my exact relationship with all things Bette Midler. (I definitely have only ever heard The Real Song, and can't imagine that changing)

Also, despite myriad protests, much urging, annual cajoling from various and sundry, AND multiple good faith attempts (at least I think they were), I've still never been able to get more than 15 minutes into that movie.

I don't know which prospect is worse; being the last (wrong?) holdout, or having to give it another try.

Rot said...

I found the entire thing very nostalgic. I feel like when I was growing up, there was always some made-for-tv movie on during the Halloween season. They came out of nowhere and they weren't phenomenal, but they were endearing and fun. This had a vibe like that for me. A talking cat. Witches. A zombie...neat sets and real pumpkins.

Lady M said...

Holy crap - never thought I would read this post. I tried to watch it a few weeks ago but turned it off after 20 minutes. I could not get past the tired formula Disney - cool kid comes from California to save the day. I could almost see the whole movie in my mind. Maybe I need a good friend who loves it to force me to sit through it. I did like the set in the witches house. Never enjoyed those made for TV movies.

Rot said...

I used to feel the way you feel, Lady M.
haha kidding.

But yeah. It helps having someone encourage a break from some really rigid thinking. Luther would disagree though!

Jeannine520 said...

My kids and husband watched this last night. I fell asleep within the first few minutes. I might give it another try in a few days. I've not been a fan of Bette's either but nothing to do with her acting. I tend to cross them off my list when they start talking politics or I know too much about them personally. When I watch the screen I only want to see the character they're portraying, I don't want to know anything about them otherwise and Bette ruined that for me many years ago.

girl6 said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! i Die! hahaha.
Omg..you HATED her! There was no talking to you either about her or the movie. & Honestly over the past few years with Bette & all those dumb dumb tweets of hers, where she had to issue BIG apologies one after another to like Everyone. Ugh. i'm kinda tired of her now. Sarah Jessica Parker has always been annoying af. The only cool witch chick in that flick is Kathy Najimy! & Then i was like..Wait tho, Mrs. Garrett & Frank-N-Furter are in it! Yayyy!!! Nah, wrong movie!!! HAHAHA!!!


Ugh & the movie! There's not much to it. i was just going to quote Ray Bradbury, but, it's just too mean. hahaha! He wasn't a fan of the Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin special tho either. He thought it was such a rip off. His daughters did too. They all kicked the TV one by one after watching it!!! HAHAHHA!!! Oh how i LOVE him.

MR. Macabre said...

I'll never watch that movie again, or the sequel. Bette Midler's crossed the line way too many times. Plus, Disney has gone off the rails and I don't see them ever coming back.

Mr. Macabre

Rot said...

Love the art, not the artist, as they say.

Haunted Eve said...

Mr. Haunted Eve here...
For some reason we "missed out" on seeing Hocus Pocus in the early 90's and didn't get around to watching it until a few years ago during FreeForm's 31 Nights Of Halloween. We just didn't care for the movie on a multitude of levels. We don't have a problem with "lighter fare" Halloween movies. We enjoy watching movies like When Good Ghouls Go Bad and the Disney Halloweentown series comes Halloween season, but Hocus Pocus across the board just didn't work for us. There's a 2015 Vox review of Hocus Pocus that sort of hits the nail on the head from our perspective.

Goneferalinidaho said...

I watched it last week, for the first time. Didn't like it and I don't know anything about Midler's political views.

Old Fashion Halloween said...

Watched it when it came out in 93 in the theater and loved it. Now, watching it there is that nostalgia with kids on Halloween night and no cell phones. Simpler Disney times too. I admire Bette Midler for all her fundraising to save parks and restore green spaces in NewYork city. Huge Halloween party fundraisers. Times and tastes change so good on you for trying it after all these years. Maybe I need to try egg nog again as an adult since it was too overwhelming to me as a kid.

Wren said...

Looks like I will revel in my nostalgia alone 😂

Rot said...

HAHA

girl6 said...

Bette is VERY talented on multiple levels. i LOVE that she fights for the marginalized souls out there. She wants the BEST for people. But, sometimes you end up insulting the people you are trying to help. ugh. & Double ugh when you're an older female performer calling younger female performers whores & too sexual. i think she just needs to stop tweeting. Maybe everyone should!

Wren said...

Yeah, it’s not a good look. Can’t say I’m dying to see the sequel at all.

Tjalgahorn said...

Wow, I can hardly believe what I'm reading from you haha. I had a similar experience with Hocus Pocus; I assumed I'd come away from it going "Meh, it's alright", but I ended up really enjoying it. So glad you ended up liking this movie!

Rot said...

Yup! Really dug it!