Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The Passing Of William Basso

As someone who is perpetually searching for blog content, I see a lot of Halloween imagery.  A LOT of it.  Over those many years, one image would pop up over and over again.  And every time I see it, I pause and study it.  It captures so many wonderful aspects of the High Holiday.  It's Mysterious and Dark.  It's a curiosity.  If Ray Bradbury's short stories became one image all at once, it would be that piece of art.


The work is below.  And it's by artist Bill Basso.  He passed away on May 4th at the age of 60.  



In the 90's he worked for the Stan Winston Studio and his credits include Tremors, Bride of Re-Animator, Edward Scissorhands, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Batman Returns, Jurassic Park, Interview with the Vampire, Congo, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Relic, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Creature, Lake Placid, Inspector Gadget, Lost Souls, and Reign of Fire.  That's really amazing.

I've been featuring his artwork on this blog since August 2008.  So many wonderful pieces over the years...  Click here to see the posts.  


7 comments:

Wren said...

What a loss. Thanks for sharing this.

Boo Swain said...

The print you show here is on my wall the year round. I also have his "The Halloween Lady." So sorry to learn of his passing, especially at such an early age.

Otaku said...

A remarkably dark, disturbing, and inspiring piece. Thanks for posting this, Rot.

Autumnleaf said...

I just read of his passing on his FB page. Such a loss...and to think of what else he was going to do. What an incredible body of work. We are so fortunate.

Rot said...

I had similar thoughts. About what he took with him. SO creative.

On a personal note, he and I had corresponded since back in 2008 and he seemed like the kindest and most genuine person.

MR. Macabre said...

That really sucks, I love his stuff. Why do the good always seem to die young? The only things that've stopped me from owning several prints of his work are my wife and not being able to bring them home safely whenever we've been back down in SO. CAL. to visit. She's a devout believer and hates Halloween.
There's a year-round Halloween store in Burbank, CA. called HALLOWEEN TOWN that sells prints of his stuff. Trying to bring them back to Seattle without them being damaged has always stopped me from investing in any of them.

RIP

Mike C(JASONV123) said...

Terrible news, I've admired his work for years.