Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Bowl Of Frute

Local supermarket had those two creature comebacks...Frute Brute and Yummy Mummy.  Purchased both, but only tried Frute Brute.
Sometimes the quest is way more important than the treasure.  But only when the treasure is pink cereal and not treasure.

Eh.  It's ok.  All of the monster cereals are shiny, and different than in their early years.  And this stuff looks toxic, and doesn't have the toxic fruit flavor I was expecting (and wanting).

Found some Halloween It'll-Turn-Your-Milk-Green Captain Crunch, so it wasn't a total loss. 

I'm officially a child.


Growing up, we had a sticker in the basement of my parents' house...of the Frute Brute (spelled Fruit Brute back then).   None of us remember putting it there, and none of us could remember actually eating Frute Brute back then.  And my parents were the first occupants of the house, so it was strange indeed that a sticker had been stuck in a monster cereal's honor.

And it's still there.  Tonight, my mother called and said blood tears were dripping from it.  At the precise moment that I shouted "This cereal tastes like piss!"

That last bit was a lie.


Here's a shot of the 2013 Frute Brute cereal.  Which I swear has given me dry-mouth.


Enlarged to show texture:



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I'm guessing that I am not going to try the Frute Brute then. The wife said the store didn't have it anyways. Yummy Mummy was o.k., but not that great. I'll stick with my Booberry.
She did get me the Captain Crunch though. I like when my cereal turns my milk a different color. :)

Rot said...

Just tried a handful of the Mummy...way more flavor than the Brute.

Life happens, keep running! said...

I've always loved the dried out marshmellows the best of those cereals.

Now I'm in the mood for Captain Crunch.....

girl6 said...

aaaaaaaaaaahhkkkk.. :(

dios mio!..i Suspected those M'effers were lying like rugs.
& last year, was the Same story.
i Swear, they Don't know what Old School means.
more "Pretenders to the throne".

on the Upside tho..
you ran around all day like a little kid, on a special mission.&.that's the Priceless part dude.
Yep, you'll Never grow old..<33333333

hahahhahahah..Honestly, i Can't get enough of the "Frute Brute" sticker story..Thank You!.. : D

Anonymous said...

Now I'm in the mood for a bowl of Halloween Captain Crunch.

NoahFentz said...

Yeah...I had the same experience with a cereal called Ka-Boom. I remember as a kid it was really sweet. Loaded with sugar. Years later when my daughter was born we were on the WIC program. I was surprised to see Ka-Boom one of the cereals on the list. I bought it and could not wait to bring me back to my childhood...

It taste like cardboard.

Ragged Grin said...

Chocula...he and I get along fine, good luck with the frute boos fellas.

Adam Hazlett said...

I had a glow in the dark Fruit Brute sticker on my light switch in my bedroom all through the 70's
I also had a Coco the little brown elephant window cling from Cocoa Krispies on my window. You gotta love the 70's. Don't remember the cereal too well.

Old Fashion Halloween said...

It's probably like when they cut trans fat in all the childhood sugar high foods. The taste was never the same.

Rot said...

i miss the little wagon wheel-shaped monster cereals. firm and heavy. With rich ink-ish dyes. A man's cereal. For kids.

Adam said...

I think there is a reason The Count is the only one of the cereals thats been a constant.

Sara said...

I think the lack of taste comes from the companies switching to whole grain/wheat/crap ;) I hate it. I miss the taste of my youth. Sigh.

K.O. said...

Hahahhahaaa!! This post cracked me up. Great writing. Love the quote "Sometimes the quest is way more important than the treasure. But only when the treasure is pink cereal and not treasure." Truly LMAO'd!