Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Haunted Attraction: Field Of Screams

We drove out to Lancaster County on a cool Saturday afternoon to officially kick off the Haunted Attraction season with a bang.  Field of Screams opened in 1993, and they definitely have this down to a science where they are ready for hordes of people and tons of cars.  They're on 35 acres and they have maximized every inch.  There's a big center square of sorts and the multiple haunted house/attraction entrances are all there, facing towards the square.  Food and drink prices were really reasonable, and parking was included in the cost of the tickets.  Scare actors wander the grounds and we were really impressed with the costumes and the makeup.  This was top-notch stuff.  (This sounds like a paid advertisement, and it totally isn't.)


We chose to enter the Den of Darkness first.  You could instantly tell why Field of Screams has been in operation for decades.  Every section, every dank room, every prop, and each scare actor were what you'd see in a horror film.  The level of detail was staggering.  The scares were organic and well-planned.  The screams were real.  

It felt like a house with a million rooms in it.  Stairs leading up and then down.  Narrow passages making you feel like you were deviating from the original plan and were somehow getting lost.  There was one point where your path took you to a low dark crooked opening.  This was where you were expected to get on your hands and knees...and crawl.  Crawl in almost complete darkness with an occasional burst of low light.  Enough light to reveal a body laying across the narrow space.  We had to crawl over a body.  There was a point in this cramped space where I pondered if this was even legal (we had to sign a waiver...a waiver I never even read).  I thought of older people crawling in this horror.  I thought of losing my car keys and wallet.  It was truly claustrophobic.  And it was wonderful.

Frightmare Asylum was next, and it was all of the joys of the first haunted house, but with the atmosphere of an asylum gone completely mad.  So many inmates pleading to be free.  So many tormentors.  I promised the patients that I'd send help to get them out.  I lied.

A dystopian post-apocalyptic haunt trail was up next - Nocturnal Wasteland.  Rusted metal bridges and hanging walkways swayed under our weight.  Dark water flowed from old sewer pipes into even darker pools below.  Actors begged us for scrap metal... then told us they'd take our blood.  At one point, we turned a corner and were suddenly entering the back of an old yellow school bus.  Small motionless figures sat with their backs to us, their small heads covered in stringy dirty hair.  Due to their size, we weren't expecting any actors in there, but nope - one jumps up and starts screaming.  A child.  A scare actor child (I think).  It was hilarious and wonderful, and genuinely scary as she pleaded with us about not leaving her there.  We left her there.

We saved The Haunted Hayride for last.  VIP tickets took us to the front of the line (I'd recommend the additional fee for the VIP treatment [especially if you're going closer to Halloween when the real crowds show up]).  Tractors pull 35-foot-long wagons loaded with hay and humans.  It's a LONG ride, and you're being driven through spooky cornfields to get to a series of active tableaus.  With each stop, gates descend to trap you inside, separating you from the tractor.  You feel cut off from the world as animatronic props and actors scream to life all around you.  In one of the sections, someone is beheaded, and you feel a spray of blood (they do this a lot throughout the haunts - getting sprayed with a small amount of water at key moments is brilliant).  Again, the screams were real.  The laughter that follows is a little addictive.  It was so much fun.  

You're released from the wagon and you walk through a patch of corn to get to a narrow exit room in a small wooden hut.  It's a vortex tunnel.  With a small metal bridge leading you through.  I've never actually walked in one of those things.  I took a few steps onto the bridge and realized the bridge was now pulling to the left and dumping me God-knows-where below.  I couldn't believe the force of gravity. I'm contorting and straining to keep myself from falling over the railing.  I then realize this is only happening to ME and I'm guided to safety as we both start to laugh uncontrollably.  I'm informed the bridge wasn't moving... that gravity didn't increase by some unseen mechanism.  I can't even imagine what the people behind me were thinking as I almost succumbed and went over the rail.  We laughed about this all the way home.   And we still are.  Maybe I have an inner ear thing?  No clue.  All I know is that I'd do it again tomorrow.  Definitely.

Below are some photos from the event.  Unfortunately, there were no photos taken inside the Haunts or of the Hayride.  Field of Screams' Instagram is woefully lacking in interior shots.  They primarily feature Haunt Actors on their social media.  So you're gonna have to trust me on this one.  


















6 comments:

MR. Macabre said...

That looks 'frickn awesome, I wish we had something similar in our neck of the woods. It sounds just like my dream haunt that I'd love to put on.

Lady M said...

What a place. i unfortunately, know nobody who will do that with me. My husband and daughter detest jump scares,

Rot said...

I never thought I was the kind of guy to dig jump scares, but man was I wrong.
Totally need to give it a try! Force them, Lady M ; D

K.O. said...

AMAZING post. I love your description of this excellent attraction. Super glad you went and shared your experience with us. I hope you visit more haunts now that you're addicted! Kindly report back when you do. :)

Rot said...

Definitely have plans for more! Haha
I’m a Jumpscare junky.

Dawnofthedead said...

Promising the inmates you’ll send help…Hahahaha! I love it.