Friday, March 18, 2022

I Have A Thing For Hex Signs

...The residents of these quiet rural communities regard the stars as something to be cherished, yet perfectly ordinary—an agricultural expression of folk art, and as commonplace as eating pie. Nevertheless, for the outside world, the barn stars, also commonly called hex signs, have captured the American imagination as generations of visitors to the region marvel at the seamless integration of art into the agrarian countryside.

Just as humanity has marveled at the stars in the sky throughout history, and sought some sense of meaningful interpretation of their order and light, so too have these folk art depictions of the stars evoked a sense of wonder in all who behold them. For the Pennsylvania Dutch they are part of the fabric of life, but for those from outside of the community, the stars are thought to be representative of that which is otherworldly, mysterious, or supernatural.

Between these two different views, the history of the folk art barn stars has been the subject of debate for nearly a century, and is only now beginning to take shape yet again as Pennsylvanians in the present day not only rediscover the art form, but also strive to preserve their open spaces and agricultural communities. It is abundantly clear, however, that no matter how the stars have been celebrated, interpreted, commercialized, or appropriated throughout the centuries by inhabitants and visitors alike, their history is inextricably linked to the Pennsylvania barns themselves, and the Pennsylvania Dutch folk culture that built the barns, transformed the landscape, and continues to persevere in an ever-changing world.

Click below for some Hex history and a cool look at a museum display that I wish I hadn't missed...


9 comments:

Wren said...

Now I want a hex sign made by Sam, ha ha

Rot said...

haha

And he'd make INSANE ones.
They'd be amazing.

broevil said...

Awesome. The article was waaaayyyyy too long for me to read the whole thing, but I now live in one of the areas mentioned. I've been taking the hex signs for granted. I'll have to pay more attention. I love seeing them.

Rot said...

Hey, that's neat!

broevil said...

It is neat! And occasionally I encounter strange, new foods..odd potato salads, dutch fries... mostly seems to be potato centered... hahaha. And I discovered belsnickel too... he's fun

Rot said...

I need to get to Lancaster. Love it out there. Shoefly pie!

broevil said...

I'm about an hour away from Lancaster, we're in Pa Dutch country. Lancaster is cool to visit. I went to camp out there

Wren said...

Can’t miss the Lebanon Bologna :p

Rot said...

haha I had to google that.
wasn't sure.
Looks more like salami than bologna. Amish country is a land of mystery.