Thursday, March 24, 2022

Pennsylvania Dutch Halloween Scherenschnitte

Scherenschnitte, which means "scissor cuts" in German, is the art of paper cutting design. The artwork often has rotational symmetry within the design, and common forms include silhouettes, valentines, and love letters. The art tradition was founded in Switzerland and Germany in the 16th century and was brought to Colonial America in the 18th century by Swiss and German immigrants who settled primarily in Pennsylvania.

My good friend Wren recommended a neat book by Peter V. Fritsch.  I had never heard of Scherenschnitte before, but I know I love Dutch folk art (especially hex signs), and when she sent me some images from the book, I couldn't order it quickly enough.

Here are some images and poetry...









Thanks, Wren!

Buy the book here.



14 comments:

Rot said...

Someone needs to hop on the Halloween Hex Sign gig.
I think they'd make some buck.

Wren said...

Love the images you featured! Such a cool book, glad you like it!

Rot said...

Thanks! And it's like you said, these things could be cut out of the book and framed as wall art.

I really want that pumpkin/bat one as a hex sign (hope Sam Heimer is reading this stuff). haha

Willow Cove said...

I’m loving the third one with the clothesline ghosts! Remind me of 1921.

Rot said...

I can see that! Nice!
I love the poem that goes to that. The concept of a witch doing Ghost wash is hilarious to me.

Withered Vines said...

never seen these before takes a good hand to make such a cut i like these

Wren said...

My only complaint or critique would be that there should be some templates included so us less creative folks can make them too!

Rot said...

True!
I don't fare well with this kind of detail.

Lady M said...

Those are spectacular - the detail is amazing. Especially that witch and her laundry.

Rot said...

SO many more in the book too.

Unknown said...

DAMN, that takes a lot of patience and talent, 2 things I don't have. Very frickn' cool.

Mr. Macabre

Holy Tarra said...

These are so cool! and I love the shot of Sam Heimer reading the book. : D

Rot said...

Haha...totally Sam!

Salem and Binx said...

I just love these!