Thursday, August 20, 2009

Welcome To Mystickal Tymes

A few years ago, I explored types of incense other than incense sticks and cones. I wanted the loose kind. The kind used in cathedrals. The kind that's spooned onto a charcoal disc that looks like an Oreo cookie. I ordered a bunch of sample packets online - Frankincense, dragon's blood, and even something called cathedral blend. Filled the house with oily milky yellow-white smoke. Sickly sweet, and great.

Then I saw online that Samhain incense was a variety that was actually sold and knew I had to own it. I didn't want to wait to have it delivered so I decided to go for a drive to a small town of shops that I thought might carry it. It was a good distance so I made a day of it. When I got there, I looked around a tiny shop called Mystickal Tymes, loaded with statues and books and incense and candles. I saw containers of the cool loose incense behind the counter and figured I'd ask the guy working the store if he happened to have any Samhain incense available. I even pronounced it the proper "Sow-in" way - figured I'd let him know I was respectful of his trade and lifestyle (he was in a black leather cloak and had thin pruned so-black-they-were-purple eyebrows).

Me: "Do you have any Samhain incense?"
Him: "Why would I? It's not Samhain. It's not even September! I swear...you people..."
Me: "But I..."
Him: "Would you ask for a Christmas tree in July?"
Me: "Well, no..."
Him: "Then why would I have Samhain incense made NOW?"
Me: "Oh. Sorry."
Him: [Silence]

20 comments:

SPOOKSHOWS.COM said...

You should have immediately asked him for a Spell Book to banish negative people. Around here, Copal incense is burned during the Day of the Dead celebrations, yet I can still find it year round. It's also burned on the little oreo charcoal things.

Jon Glassett said...

What a jackhole. I am very close friends with Wiccans who would openly laugh at a guy like that.

Rot said...

I should have Moe Howard'd him with my two fingers, right in the eyes.

Though he probably would have blocked me with a sideways hand.

NecroBones said...

What an ass. Besides, Samhain is only a couple of months away. You can find Christmas decorations much further in advance, so he's WRONG.

Robert Pearson said...

Ha Ha thats the funniest thing I have heard all day what a jackass. The guy not you.

Anonymous said...

the guy sounds like a fake to me.

Mr. Macabre said...

How rude of him! I would have liked to have said to him, "I could buy it online but I would rather buy locally to help small businesses."
Obviously he was having a bad eyebrow day.

Nev said...

LAME!!

Doryen said...

That's just silly. If we carried Samhain at our store (dragondreamsgifts.com) I'd definitely make sure it was on the shelf 365. I'll have to look it up and see if we can get it.

PumpkinBrain said...

This guy was pretty rude! I'm going with the answer Mr.Macabre would have liked to say to him.

The Captain said...

People like that should not work with the public. He could have nicely explained that he doesn't carry it all year, only in Sept and Oct. If I want a Christmas tree in July I bet someone who wants to take my money would sell me one.

I just checked and you can get Samhain incense $1 for 2.5 grams online, and there a tons of websites that will sell me a Christmas tree today.

Nice cape buddy, what a dick.

JHMDF said...

LOL that was great Necro. Well... at least you had a nice long drive, right?

-Scott

Adam said...

hahaha! I have to agree with everyone. How can you work in that kind of store and be totally rude!? Jerk!

Hallowzing said...

Hobby Lobby has had Christmas trees and ornaments on display since the beginning of August. And I'm not talking about in an obscure aisle in the back of the store - they are front and center in the little atrium you pass through that holds the carts!

This guy either took his job way too seriously or he's as phony as a $3 bill.

~Scout~ said...

This reminds me of the Monty Python cheese store skit where they have no cheese!

Andrea said...

"...you people..."
You People?! Did he seriously say that? Like everyone else is weird?
This was hilarious.

Rot said...

yep. he said it.

Doryen said...

Were they Azure Green brand?

Rot said...

Not sure what it was, but it was a loose mix. I assumed it was something he mixed up himself.

I've tried the clove incense sticks from azure and I love them.

Doryen said...

I'm going to be carrying the Azure Green Samhain incense in stick form at my store. Should be getting it in pretty soon. =)