Saturday, April 23, 2022

Suffer For Your Art

Death has come to your little town, sheriff.

Turns out Loomis was talking about the guy on the left.

My poor brother in a heavy stalkaround costume I made, probably in the late 90's.  Unlike the way a standard stalkaround costume is constructed, where the "actor's" shoulders hold the weight of the costume, I was in a hurry with this late concept, so his head did the heavy lifting.  Terrible.  

And regarding my Myers costume, I remember being bothered that kids could always see my actual eyes (I hated seeing his eyes in any of the films).  Since I didn't have the blackest nor the Devil's eyes, I put a piece of black mesh on the inside of my Myers mask.  I recall having severe flood lamp glare the entire time I handed out candy.  I could barely see.  

I've mentioned this earlier on the blog somewhere, but my brother would receive "acting" instructions from me throughout the night.  [Annoying] acting instructions.  He would start by standing in our neighbor's driveway.  And then slowly glide up over their lawn towards the approaching kids.  He then was free to roam, staying close to our house.  "Free."

In the photo above, you can even see his eyes looking out of the rib cage.  Note you can't see my eyes in the Myers mask (I should have used more mesh on my brother's costume [though I'm certain that would have resulted in a child being stomped by accident].  Also please note that my brother is wearing black pillowcases over his shoes (impossible to tell from the photo).  That makes me laugh every time.  Totally unnecessary.

It was a really fun night.  And I remember putting the Death costume on at one point and running as fast as I could up the street.  We were all laughing pretty hard.  But it was then that I realized the costume was a horror show inside.  And it was heavy.  Like you hated to even open your mouth from the weight of it resting firmly against the top of your skull.  My poor brother.  


13 comments:

Rot said...

Update: I received an email from my brother this morning. He saw the blog post and said he accepted my apology.

Willow Cove said...

Brotherly Love.

That poor guy! ;)

Rot said...

Oh, he EARNED it.

Samhain said...

"The Devil's in the Details!" If someone had seen his shoes, it would have blown the whole effect! I know I sweat all the little things! Right down to the lines the actors in my haunt say! If they start ad libbing, I flip out! It's always the go to, "GET OUT!"
screamed at full volume! No,no,NO!!! We want them there, to soak in the atmosphere and be creeped out! I spent a year planning this Haunted House and you're rushing them out the door! It's great your brother put up with your "micromanaging" even back in the days it wasn't defined as such! What did he call it?

Rot said...

He actually seemed fine with it. I mean, it's kinda like a stage play... actors would ruin the entire thing if they ad libbed or didn't wear black pillowcase booties on their feet. haha



Wren said...

I think this idea should be revisited….

Rot said...

Interesting. I'll consult with my brother ; )

Samhain said...

I'll write the script! Rot, you'll star ( as Myers og or part two!)also direct by yelling "places", when you see the trick or treaters coming!, And "back to one" when they leave! Your brother with a brand new Gore Galore stalker that won't hurt his head! Wren, you're in charge of craft services, and Willow Cove, cues the creepy music on cassette from the boom box hidden in the bushes! Corbett? On smoke machine! Lady M? Witch!, Revenant Manor? lights, ambience! Sara? Candy and mixed drinks!!! It'll be a fun night in Pennsylvania!!!

broevil said...

I've got fog covered!! I got myself one of those professional machines and I regularly have white out conditions.

Mike C(JASONV123) said...

A great concept! We all learn from our early projects, especially the ones that we weren't satisfied with! I dig the photo man!

Rot said...

Thanks!

Tjalgahorn said...

Reading this story brought me back. I've got some great memories of big clunky costumes I've made and worn, and I always love hearing about others'.

Rot said...

Cool. Our collective hobby is definitely a labor of love, that's for sure.