Sunday, March 6, 2022

There Was Only The Sky And The Wind And The Water And The Autumn Coming On Lonely.

"Strange," he said, softly. "Strangest thing I ever saw. She's been dead a long time."

I repeated his words.

He nodded. "Ten years, I'd say. There haven't been any children drowned here this year.  
There were twelve children drowned since 1933, but we found all of them before a few hours had passed. All except one, I remember. This body here, why it must be ten years in the water. It's not---- pleasant."

I stared at the gray sack in his arms. "Open it," I said. I don't know why I said it. The wind 
was louder.

He fumbled with the sack.

"Hurry, man, open it!" I cried.


Ray Bradbury, The Lake


4 comments:

Willow Cove said...

Cover your nose!
I remember the scene in Silence of the Lambs
Where they all wipe Vicks vapor rub on their noses.
I’d be like “Nope - I’ll be outside “

Rot said...

Same.

Holy Tarra said...

Perfect text for this photo!!!

Withered Vines said...

very serene